Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-02, 13:52

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Atkins on Exercise

I picked up and have started reading Dr Atkins' Age Defying Diet. I figured if his LC diet is doing me so much good, perhaps he has some interesting information on aging too.

I skipped forward to the exercise chapter since exercise is so much on my mind these days.

Quote:
From Age_Defying Diet
According to a recent study of older men in Hawaii, your risk of coronary heart disease decreases 15% for every half mile walked each day.

This gives us some control of reducing the odds of suffering heart disease. We can literally "walk away from it"!

Quote:
For those of you who need to lose weight, regular exercise will help speed the process along. I particularly recommend it for people who have a high metabolic resistance to weight loss. Even though walking a mile burns only 100 calories, a prolonged exercise program often proves to be the essential that tips the balance in hard-core unable-to-lose-on-a-strict-diet people. Those of you whose weight loss is simply plateauing will find that exercise gets you over the logjam more quickly.

He goes on to recommend walking as an excellent exercise program that anyone can do. Cheap, easy, free and requires no special equipment!

My only disappointment with what I'm learning about the value of exercise, is that I didn't figure this out 20 or 30 years ago!

Marlaine
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-02, 15:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/PP/Kiss
Stats: 160/120/110
BF:
Progress: 80%

Nice reminder Marlaine It's one of my present goals to formulate a better exercise strategy for myself. I'm walking daily, I need to do more. Walking is a great way to start initially, especially if one has not done any kind of exercise.

I would love to add a few things to what you have said

Quote:
>>>In a study of holiday weight gain published a few years ago in the New England Journal of Medicine, researchers examined everything from stress levels and depression to smoking and physical activity to see how they related to weight gain.
What mattered most? Physical activity. "People who were somewhat more active kept their weight stable compared with those who didn't stay active," says lead author Jack Yanovski, head of the growth and obesity unit at the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development. "They didn't gain and they didn't lose over the holidays. Those who described themselves as much more physically active lost weight during the holidays."<<<

Quote:
>>>10,000 steps daily, is the number that experts at The Cooper Institute in Dallas have suggested adults should take per day for good health. But most Americans fall far short of this goal, report researchers, who add that not walking is a major reason Americans are so much fatter than Europeans and Asians.

"Roughly 25 percent of Americans are obese, while only about 7 percent of Europeans are," says John Pucher, Ph.D., professor of urban planning at Rutgers University in New Brunswick, New Jersey. Pucher thinks he knows why: Europeans walk, on average, at least three times more than we do. Their diets aren't perfect, he notes, and they don't work out more than we do. But
walking is part of their daily routine, and it helps burn off the bearnaise sauce, bread and wine they seem to consume with impunity.

For more than 45 percent of their daily travel, the Dutch walk or ride a bike. In Sweden, nearly a third of all commuting is done on foot, another 10 percent via bicycle. About a quarter of the travel of the Italians and the French is walking.

A study from the University of Maryland School of Medicine in Baltimore tracked obese women who ate healthily and walked for 30 to 45 minutes at least three times a week.
The results: Subcutaneous fat-the kind you can pinch-in the women's thighs dropped 16 percent, while the fat embedded more deeply in muscle tissue (that sneaky kind that contributes to cardiovascular disease and increases with age) decreased 18 percent. Women actually dropped about an inch mid-thigh and lost weight in their abdomen, leaving them with, on average, 15 percent less body fat.<<<

Quote:
>>>A NASA/Johnson Space Center study tracked 500 employees (average age of 40) to find out how much exercise it takes to stop the scale from rising along with age. For men and women weighing 180 and 150 pounds, respectively, the magic number appears to be a weekly routine of 16 miles or 5 to 7 hours of aerobic activity.<<<

I don't recall where I collected all this stuff, so I can't acknowledge.

Interesting sideline:-
Since starting lo-carb I've banished all pre-packaged from my kitchen. I decided to start going to farmers' markets and ethnic food stores for supplies and vegetables.
My walks have now become adventures. I've greatly reduced my grocery budget, by shopping this way. Things like flaxseed I found much cheaper in ethnic shops.

My fridge is crammed... my other kitchen closets are empty, except for this huge supply of salmon, tuna, sardine cans and vast array of new herbs and spices.

I spend less time now in food preparation than I did before

'La vita e bella' the lo-carb way

Last edited by zellie : Tue, Jan-01-02 at 15:49.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-02, 17:23

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 164/130/132
BF:
Progress: 106%

Thanks Marlaine!!
I knew it all along but I've just plain been lazy!!!
Monday I'm jumping in !!
Starting a routine with weight machine and going to start the daily walk. I walk all day at work but its not the same walking you do for excercise... plus after over 30 years of it, my body just takes that walking as normal.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
Ellie