Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-03, 11:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%
Thumbs down "Don't let the current carb craze ruin the holidays"

Don't let the current carb craze ruin the holidays

Experts say it's OK to enjoy treats in moderation

December 15, 2003

By JENNIFER SAMMARTINO
STATEN ISLAND ADVANCE

link to article

With all of the hype about low carb products and the pressure to keep a svelte body, the holiday season may look like a real downer.

Who wants to go to parties where they can't indulge in some holiday treats? Or even one treat?

But fear not. The experts say that you can have your cake -- and bread -- and eat them, too.

The current carb craze is "No difference in obsession than we had with low carb dieting 40 years ago," said Dr. Glenn A. Gaesser, a professor of exercise physiology and the director of kinesiology at the University of Virginia, Curry School of Education in Charlottesville, Va. "We have a culture that is obsessed with body weight, how to lose it. Dieting has become a part of our life."

THE PROBLEM WITH LOW CARB DIETS

For starters, the low carb diet -- which sees quick results -- doesn't work in the long run.

"The appeal of a low carb diet is immediate success," said Dr. Gaesser, author of the book, "Big Fat Lies: the Truth about Your Weight and Your Health."

The jury's still out on the long-term effectiveness and safety of high-protein/low-carb diets, but these weight-loss plans are increasingly popular, with 32 million people following one, according to the results of a Harris poll released in September.

First off, it's never a good idea to eliminate all carbs from your diet. The body needs carbs in order to perform well.

"We are sending people the wrong message," said Karin Kratina, a registered dietitian and exercise physiologist who developed and directed nutrition and exercise services at The Renfrew Center, Gainesville, Fla. "A lot of things are wrong with the low carb diet. It doesn't work long-term."

The reason these diets see fast results is simple. When you remove carbs, you're removing lots of calories.

"When you eliminate carbs, you get rid of a lot of water weight from your body," said Dr. Gaesser. "The pounds lost in the first few weeks, it's just water. But it provides some kind of motivation."

In addition, some diets allow fatty foods that have traditionally been off-limits to dieters.

"The appeal of the diet, with Atkins, is unlimited consumption of foods that have been viewed as taboo," he said. "We can be bad and lose weight at the same time." Other popular low-carb diets, according to the Harris poll, were the South Beach Diet and the Zone Diet.

"Not everyone will have success on the same diet plan," he noted.

THE CARB CRAZE

Grains, which are necessary for a healthy diet, have to be eliminated to go low carb. That's a notion that sends Ms. Kratina -- and others -- into orbit.

"Most people end up missing them," she said, adding that grains are "extremely satisfying" and filling. "They are emotionally difficult to give up long term."

The current blizzard of low-carb products seems to be fueling the idea that these diets work.

"I think the carb craze has created a lot of fear and that's not a great way to promote health," Ms. Kratina said during a recent phone interview.

For women, it's a lot harder to watch intake than men. "We highlight women because they can't take in as many calories as men," Ms. Kratina said.

As for taking off weight and maintaining a healthy body, Ms. Kratina acknowledged that everyone is different.

Diets full of whole grains that are high in fiber are the best way to go. "Whole grains have a significant amount of fiber in them. It prevents diseases, cancers, diabetes, helps to control it. It's very beneficial.

"These nutrients move through gut slower, helps people feel more satisfied. Even the fortified foods are beneficial in their own right."

Ms. Kratina isn't a health nut all the time though. "I like to see people be able to have a hamburger sometimes," she said. When you do that, make up for it with other healthy meals during the day. Start the day with whole grain cereal for breakfast, she suggested.

A BETTER WAY TO GO

"Science suggests that people who follow a diet that is largely plant based -- fruit, whole grain, vegetables -- have the best results," Dr. Gaesser said, citing a study from the National Weight Control Registry.

The studies, surprising to some, indicate that people who consume the most carbs typically weigh less, Dr. Gaesser said. But it's not just any kind of carb. "The critical factor is whole grains, fiber rich foods," he said, noting that simple, refined carbs and sugars are the bad carbs."

His advice? Eat most foods in their natural form. "If it comes in a can or a box, it's generally not as healthy. We're talking about fruits and vegetables. I don't want a blanket statement that says all processed food is bad."

Cereal, for example, is a processed food that is rich in nutrients, boasting about three grams of fiber in a serving. "America is a big consumer of cereals," Dr. Gaesser said. Read the nutrition labels -- skip all the other stuff, go right to the fiber line."

HOLIDAY EATING

As for the holidays, you'll have to cheat a little.

"There's no avoiding it," he said. "What's the use in having a holiday if you can't enjoy it? Enjoy the parties. Prevent pigging out. Make a conscious effort to try to increase activity level during this period," he said. Dr. Gaesser suggested going to the gym more frequently, walking more and getting more exercise into your daily routine. "Walk up and down the street, add on some activity, burn some calories."

In addition, party-goers can prepare themselves not to overindulge at holiday festivities. "Make your body a little less likely to indulge. Don't skimp on food throughout the day if there is a party in evening," he said. "Some may think they might as well skip breakfast and lunch, go to a party and consume much more than they would have."

Newhouse News Service material was used in this story.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-03, 14:25
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

>>"Grains, which are necessary for a healthy diet..."

*groan*

Gee, I don't know about their math, but according to the labels *I* read, whole grain cereal and bread is a pretty crappy source of fiber.

...besides, it's a misnomer to call that stuff "whole" grain. If it's been ground up into flour, sorry, it's not whole!

Last edited by Kristine : Mon, Dec-15-03 at 14:27.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-03, 16:15

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Cereal, for example, is a processed food that is rich in nutrients, boasting about three grams of fiber in a serving.

3 whole grams, huh? Let's see...in order to get in your RDA for fiber (about 25 grams per day), you'd need more than 8 servings of that cereal. Got milk?
Also, at an average of 25 grams of carb per serving, that's 200 grams of carb just from the cereal alone (highly processed and insulin spiking, I might add).
Wonder what they'd think of my routine hot breakfast cereal? 12 grams of carb total of which 9 are fiber PLUS omega 3 fattty acids. Now that's a high fiber cereal!

Quote:
First off, it's never a good idea to eliminate all carbs from your diet.

Helooooo!!! It's LOW carb, not NO carb. *sigh* Yet another yo-yo who hasn't bother to pick up a book on low carb and actually read the whole thing before giving an opinion.

Who says I can't have fun at a holiday party? Bring on the shrimp, cheese balls, meat and cheese tray and veggie platters with ranch or bleu cheese dip. Just hold the crackers. I might even *gasp* have a glass of wine or two! Besides being able to enjoy a lot of great holiday food, I don't get to go home bloated and wake up hungover the next morning! Gosh...I'm really missing out here!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-03, 22:22
Registered Member

Stats: 222/165/133 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 64%

What about theso called healthy breakfasts? Yes they have grain but a lot of hidden sugars. In some cases they can be a 1/3 to half sugar.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-03, 06:19

Stats: 480/440.2/225 Male 6' 2"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotbeer

HOLIDAY EATING

As for the holidays, you'll have to cheat a little.

"There's no avoiding it," he said. "What's the use in having a holiday if you can't enjoy it? Enjoy the parties....

Um, no really, I don't have to cheat. I've already survived 2 holiday parties that were absolutely filled to the brim with candies, cookies, and other sweet treats, as well as tons of bread and pasta. I kept to the WOE and never looked twice at the carby-foods they were promoting. I ate before I went because I knew that there was no way they'd have anything I would allow myself to eat.

I'm there for the company, not the food. Not everyone needs to associate holidays with gifts or food.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-03, 10:58

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Grains are sugars...
And please, one of the great things about Atkins is that the food is so great, and yet when I'm not hungry, food is the last thing on my mind.
There really is more to life that stuffing one's face. And when you aren't driven to stuffing your face, you realize that.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-03, 11:26
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%

Any time I see the following:

"First off, it's never a good idea to eliminate all carbs from your diet. The body needs carbs in order to perform well. "

I get so frustrated with these folks, no where, I mean no where does it state we eliminate all carbs. I have five low carb books and in none do you see those words. Eliminate flour, corn, sugar, potatoes - yes! But whole grains, berries, veggies - no!

The minute I see that line, I egnor the whole article.
Grrrrr!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-03, 12:14
Living Healthy

Stats: 281.4/239.4/145 Female 5'4"
BF:imp/rov/ing
Progress: 31%

Never underestimate the ability of stupid people to say stupid things.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-03, 13:41

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I echo all the views espoused by all of you here. The one point these nutritionist keep making, on the notion that saying it 1000 times will make it ture, the benefits of eating grains.

What?

Grains aren't abundant in any nutrients, doesn't have a whole lot of fibre, and from a calorie to nutrient ratio, it ranks right above...oh...chocolates.

I'm just so sick and tired of reading about how we must eat grains...yada, yada, yada.....

I'm a human, not a horse.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-03, 14:44

Plan: My Own
Stats: 248.5/228.4/150 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Add me to your list, they just do not get it. As some one said earlier it is low carb not NO CARB. My dr happens to ok what I am doing.

Linda
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-03, 16:31

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 271/217/186 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 64%

It is truly amazing that these writers continue to pander for the cereal grains/sugar industry in such a blatant, inaccurate and ignorant manner.

Compare their supposed "nutritional" offering from grain to any of our meat/cheese/egg dishes, looking specifically at insulin demand generated and there is simply no competition.

In addition, it is possible to have plenty of holiday goodies, and still maintain a good low carb WOE. My wife makes sugar free chocolate, with macadamias, hazel nuts or pecans folded in, and it beats anything the commercial market has to offer for low carb sweets, but still very low carb.

And we have the cheese cake standbys, lots of fresh berries with real whipped cream, as finger food, desert cheeses, LC pumpkin pies.

So far I have not been deprived in any way.

Please take note, these are not dishes for those on induction, or for those focussing on rapid weight loss, but are just fine for those on maintenance and even on OWL. I tend to drink more red wine than good sense would indicate is needed, but still get along quite well through the holidays. Last year I lost 4 pounds from December 20 to January 5. And I was never deprived or left out at any party or holiday meal during that period. I just concentrated on the delicious meats that were available, plenty of salad and other low carb veggies when available, and we took along our own LC goodies. The cheese cakes went over with everyone who tried them, though pretty guilt producing for the low fat folks!! heh