Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-04, 21:42

Plan: Montignac Method
Stats: 277.2/215.6/176 Female 172cm
BF:
Progress:
Question montignac method recipes

Hi everyone,

I'm a newby to this forum. I was wondering whether anyone else who is/has tried the Montignac Method has any recipes (haven't seen recipe book advertised here in Australia yet)?

Also, can anyone out there explain:

What on Earth are harissa, quark and salsify???

Cheers,

Laura a.k.a. lotsless
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 04:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 187.3/187.3/143.3 Female 170cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi, I bought the book (42 bucks) the one that gets you started, I also couldn't find a recipe book anywhere at the time. I tried it for 2 weeks and well decide it to switch to Atkins instead. I feel much better with 'no carbs' at all. Good luck.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 20:52

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/126/120 Female 164
BF:
Progress: 82%

Hi Lotsless,

Harissa is a tunisian (north african) paste of chillies and spices (garlic, cumin, others) that is used to season soups, stews and sandwiches too. It is super yummy and I used to buy it in tubes and use sparingly (a little goes a long way). Try to find it in speciality arab food stores...I havent really looked for it since coming to australia.

Quark is a goats cheese version of cottage cheese, has the consistency of a cross between philly cream cheese and cottage cheese....I really liked it preLC days, but now use philly and sour cream a lot.

Lastly salsify, hadnt heard of this before but did a quick google search and came up with this:
Description - Salsify is called oyster plant due to its faint oyster-like flavor. It is grown for its edible root which is white, long and slender often reaching a length of 10 to 12 inches. The young shoots or leaves are often called "chards" and are field blanched and eaten in salads. Culture - Salsify is planted from seed in the early spring and harvested after the first hard freeze in the fall. Adequate moisture and fertility during the growing season is necessary if high quality roots are to be produced.

Availability - Salsify is not a common item in most retail grocery outlets in Texas. It is not grown commercially anywhere in the U.S. due to poor demand by consumers. It is a fairly common garden item.

Selection - Select roots that appear to be tender and free of defects. Roots that are over mature will be tough and woody so avoid those that are over-sized.

Storage - With the tops removed, salsify roots will keep for extended periods of time when placed in the refrigerator. Ideal storage conditions are 33 to 35 degrees. F. and 90 percent humidity.

Hope this helps!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 22:45
Registered Member

Plan: paleo
Stats: 209/189/176 Male 186cm
BF:
Progress: 61%

Hi
Salsify, if you're interested, is grown like carrots, i grew some in Bundaberg once but they are excruciatingly slow to develop and taste like muddy parsnips. Won't make that mistake again but you could try a nursery that stocks "Eden Seeds".

Cheers

Michael Gardner
Bribie Island... home of the "flop house"