Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-27-02, 11:17
Registered Member

Plan: Freestyle
Stats: 182/161/145
BF:25%/13.8%/5%
Progress: 57%
Default Quick Snacks

I'm looking for some ideas on quick snacks. Often between classes I dont have time to cook a meal, or am finding my self hungry between classes.
I'm in my 7th week now and am starting to up my carbs (30-35g per day) so I've been looking around for low carb snacks. I found a haven of candy that has no added sugar, but its all so expensive, and I'm afraid I'd eat too much :P
Can anyone suggest some things I can keep on hand for snack, that isnt too pricy (I'm a poor college bumb).
Thanks!

BTW, I'm not really one for eating celery or carrots or anything of that sort. They'd probably tear my braces off anyways.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-27-02, 16:03
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there Psilocybin,

If you go to our kitchen section, you'll find there's a Quick Meals and Snacks forum there that should give you lots of ideas.

And you are right to avoid the sugar free candy as much as possible. They contain sugar alcohols (more info about them in Low Carb Tips on the orange bar at the top of the screen) which can stall many people. They also have a laxative effect.

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-27-02, 17:23

Plan: low carb
Stats: 136.6/129.4/119 Female 4 11
BF:
Progress: 41%

some snacks i carry around with me:

string cheese
almonds
turkey pepperoni slices
turkey slices
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-27-02, 17:53

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%

Quick snack

Quick = at hand, no fuss, immediate
Snack = something to nibble on between meals or in the evening

It might surprise you that just about anything you would normally have in a normal meal can be turned into a quick snack. Leftovers heated in the microwave = instant snack

If you can do some ahead cooking, make up a batch of meatballs and freeze them. Warmed quickly in the microwave, or eaten cold(thawed) and dipped in mayo or ranch dressing makes a filling snack.

How about hard boiled eggs? Or cheese (or there is a recipe for cheese chips in the recipe section) or leftover chicken. Chicken is one of the things that is a bargain in most areas. Last night I picked up a package of 6 huge chicken legs for just over $3 and turned them into an enormous pot of soup. Freeze it up in individual containers. Pop into the microwave. Instant food.

It's pretty limitless, if you start to think of things differently. A snack doesn't have to be "traditional"
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-29-02, 17:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/145/130
BF:dont wanna know
Progress: 81%
Default Poor Student LC Snacks

As a student myself on a fixed budget, I have to agree there are tons of snacks you could go for:

the chicken legs are a great idea- roast em up and store em in the fridge to throw in the microwave...
almonds, pecans or walnuts
i love deviled eggs- make a dozen then leave them in the fridge for snacking
mozzarella or cheddar sticks- I can get those groovy babybels and they stay "good" in a purse throughout the day
sugar-free beef jerky
wrap slices of roast beef or ham with cheese: sometimes I wrap a big leaf of lettuce around it and a squirt of mayo- delicious and cheap!
sugar free jello pots