Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 05:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/163/120 Female 64 in.
BF:
Progress: 28%
Question Rate of weight loss? Please respond!!!

I have a question for those of you who have met their goal. Is the 10% of desired weight loss (during induction) and then 5% thereafter(each month following) the way it happened for most of you? If it is, then I am about to get really depressed. I've lost 8 lbs. in two weeks on induction, which I am very satisfied with. However, the prospect of it taking another 17 MONTHS to lose the remaning 52 lbs. is so depressing , it makes me want to cry. I want to lose 60 lbs. total, so 5% of 60=3 lbs.per month and 3lbs.x17months=51lbs. Am I calculating this correctly? Is this truly typical???!!!

I guess I need to add that I am doing The Firm cardio workout (55 minutes long) three times per week. It combines aerobics with periods of weight training and it kicks my butt! I was planning to save my taebo tapes for later when I hit a stall to shake things up. The advanced video is also an hour on that one. Will this speed the weight loss if I keep at it?

Someone pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease encourage me!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 06:32

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Exercise may speed it up some. Weight loss often isn't linear - you may lose 6 pounds one month and only 3 the next. I am sure you didn't gain the weight overnight, and you won't lose it that way either.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 07:32
Yo-Yo

Plan: Lighter Life
Stats: 284/234/167 Female 5 foot 10 inchs
BF:yes very!!!
Progress: 43%
Default Hang On In There!!

everybody is different you may lose more you may lose less, dont look at it as 17 months away, just remember one step at a time ,one day at a time and one pound at time, this isnt a race its a way of life a new way of eating, beacuse as soon as you hit your target, and you go back to your old habits, you will sooner or later be back to square one!!
And remember as you loose you will look and feel better each step of the way. Set yourself mini goals it makes everrthing easier to achieve.
I hadf 58lbs to loose when i started Atkins I now have 39lbs to loose, and GOD can I see and feel a difference already, I still have a long way to go but I will keep ploding away till I get there even if it takes me 3 years or more.
Dont get dishartended you CAN and WILL do it!!

GOOD LUCK
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 07:36

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200.5/192.5/150 Female 5'6
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 16%

thats what I dont understand 2 years ago I did the diet and in only 3 months I lost 30lbs. I drank diet pepsi, no water and didnt workout a bit. I stayed in induction the whole time. If weight loss should be slow why was it so fast that time for me...anyone? It hasnt worked like that this time ..I'm going on week 7 , I have lost inches my jeans practically fall off me , if I lose my hips I will lose my pants lol. Hang in there it will come off.
Devil
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 10:31
Yo-Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil03
thats what I dont understand 2 years ago I did the diet and in only 3 months I lost 30lbs. I drank diet pepsi, no water and didnt workout a bit. I stayed in induction the whole time. If weight loss should be slow why was it so fast that time for me...anyone? It hasnt worked like that this time ..I'm going on week 7 , I have lost inches my jeans practically fall off me , if I lose my hips I will lose my pants lol. Hang in there it will come off.
Devil

as we said everybody is different! weight loss can be slow on some fast on others!! You lost weight quickly last time but your body can go through so many changes, in 2 years, that It does get harder and harder to shift those extra pounds. You say you have lost the inches and your jeans are falling down, (hope your wearing clean underwear!! lol) So weight must be shiffting, the scales may catch up later!! Weight has a funny sence of humour!!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 12:50

BF:
Smile Forgot to add...

I forgot to mention that I do intend to stay on induction until I reach goal and then move through OWL slowly. I don't ever intend to go back to the old eating habits. I am so satisfied with this way of eating I could kick myself for not doing this 10 years ago. I'm not in a hurry so that I can "jump off" the diet, per say, and then gain it all back. I'm looking toward the next pregnancy and want to get the weight off before I concieve. I plan on continuing to maintenance and staying there during the next pregnancy.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 06:45
Yo-Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeniec
I forgot to mention that I do intend to stay on induction until I reach goal and then move through OWL slowly. I don't ever intend to go back to the old eating habits. I am so satisfied with this way of eating I could kick myself for not doing this 10 years ago. I'm not in a hurry so that I can "jump off" the diet, per say, and then gain it all back. I'm looking toward the next pregnancy and want to get the weight off before I concieve. I plan on continuing to maintenance and staying there during the next pregnancy.

I know what you mean!! Me and my dh are trying to conceive (will be the first!! but I wanna get some weight of before i do, so at least when I do put weight on it wont be on top of my heaviest weight. Just keep plodding and you will get there.

Good luck on your next baby!!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 07:35

Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

Hi!

First off, when you LC you tend to look smaller at a higher weight. Especially if you work out because muscle weighs more than fat (for example, 2 lbs of fat is 5 times bigger than 2 lbs of muscle). Make sure you also track your measurements -- you may be pleasantly surprised! Also, when you work out a lot (especially lifting) you may need to eat more carbs. If you up your carbs a bit on heavy work out days you may find you'll loose faster. It all depends on each individual person how much they up carbs for workouts but it looks like the averages seem to be 10-20 additional carbs. Staying at 20 per day and working out a lot may cause you to stall a bit. Experiment a bit and see what works best for you. Regardless, I think you are doing great so far!

Last edited by sunspine17 : Sun, Aug-03-03 at 07:39.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 07:35
Contributing Member

Stats: 236/196/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 47%

I'm not even near my goal, but this is my experience so far, in case you're interested.

Induction - 19%, Month 1(not including induction) - 8%, Month 2 - 14%, Month 3 - 9%

This was really an eyeopener for me (figuring out the %). I thought I have been losing very slowly, but looks like I'm ahead and doing great.

Don't look at the long haul. If I do that I get depressed too. I look at what I've done and am so amazed that this WOE has worked so well. And I think of how marvelous I feel. I'lm 59 and used to feel like I was 70, but now I feel like 30. It's wonderful!!!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 09:55

Stats: 170/147/145 Female 5ft 9
BF:have no clue
Progress: 92%
Default taebo

I just dropped in to put in my 2 cents. Before I suffered my back injury I studied Muay Thai. Which is full contact Thai boxing. Taebo is the cardio form of the same. *KiNDA* I just wanted to make sure you knew that you will gain a lot of muscle using this technique so dont be surprised if your scale doesnt go down.. as I am sure you are aware Muscle weighs more than fat. You will lose inches like crazy with it though. You work muscles you never knew you had. LOL! Having the back injury I will never be able to take part in full contact again I also have the tapes but for now I am working with Pilates. Infact I am going to order the Winsor Pilates tomorrow! Here is to much more success in the future!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 19:53

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Weightloss polls

Another forum member had similar question, here are the answers he collected:

induction loss survey:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=116891
weight loss survey:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=116390

Last edited by Galadriell : Sun, Aug-03-03 at 19:54.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 05:18

BF:
Smile Thanks so much

Thanks guys, for the advice and encouragement. I guess I'm "getting the cart ahead of the horse" as they say. I lost another pound since two days ago. Yay! 171 ! I'll just keep doing what I have been and experiment later when I do hit a stall- now that's 4 weeks minimum without a change in measurements or weight, right?

Besides, the increased energy level, decreased need for sleep (used to sleep 8-10 hours a night; now 5-6 is more than sufficient), increased mental clarity (my husband might disagree with that ), and smoother, softer skin are indeed welcome side benefits to this WOL!

Lovin' low carb!