Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 08:02
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 176.4/159/130
BF:41%/36.4%/?
Progress: 38%
Default maybe I'm impatient..slow on induction

Help! Could someone have a look at my program. Advice Welcome!
start: jan 13, weight 176 current: 167; centimeters lost: waist 6, chest 3, hips 4; Exc: 2xrunning; 1 tennis; 1 step aero per week
bfast:I hate eggs,tried crustless quiche (yuck, soggy reheated mess) tried salmon/crm chz rolls-yuck. 2 weeks ago went back to yogurt 4 g carbs per serving. I was so hungry/faint by lunch; added a tbsp nuts along with the yogurt.
Lunch:dark green salad/blue cheese/turkey/oil&red vin
Aft snack b4 gym: blocks of hard cheese.
Dinner: meat/cooked veggie combo
exception-coffee. 1 cup morn, 1 cup >dinner w/half&half & natrena. not hungry/lightheaded & am very positive overall & more energy & sleeping well.
oh: i'm 1 shade darker pink than starting pink on the ketostix

Last edited by nix : Sun, Feb-16-03 at 08:07.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 08:35

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Nix!

With only 22 pounds to lose, there's nothing slow at all about your weight loss; you're doing great.
Overall your daily menu looks pretty good, although a bit low on the fat intake if anything.
Average weight loss on Atkins is about 10% of what you need to lose on induction (or about 2.2 lbs in your case), then 5% of what you need to lose each month after that, so you're way ahead of the game here. Those that lose large amounts of weight in the beginning are usually those that have large amounts of weight to lose to start with.
Be patient and stick with it. You're doing fine.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 09:18
Registered Member

Default thnks and more info

Hi, thanks for your positive reply! note more info:
the short term goal for mid march (big ski trip) is to get to 167 pounds - the long term goal (ideal weight, had it once felt great and lost it) is 130 pounds, sadly this is 38 pounds away...(for someone 5F1" this is quite a lot.!

ps, sometimes at night i snack on nuts (cashews). yogurt and nuts in induction? a big no no?
THks!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 09:47

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Nuts on induction are a no-no. Cashews are also one of the higher carb nuts as well. If you're feeling hungry and/or faint, it might be a good idea to add more fat and/or protein.
Yogurt is also not on the allowed list for induction foods, but the full-fat unflavored type is 4 grams of carb per cup. Unfortunately, dairy seems to be a staller for some people so you'll have to decide for yourself if you want to eat it or not.
After a month on induction, you might want to start thinking about moving on to the ongoing weight loss phase (OWL).
Staying where you are losing the fastest may be tempting, but it can backfire on you if your body adapts to the lower carb intake and stops losing. You also won't have anywhere to retreat to if you happen to hit a stall or plateau. You'll also be able to add a bit more variety in the OWL phase, like the nuts and perhaps some fruit as well.
You want to make this a plan that you can live with for life, so don't be tempted to stay at induction levels until you get to goal or you won't have much of an idea on how to maintain your losses.
Looks like you've almost made it to your goal already for March, so you're doing great. Keep it up!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-03, 04:09
Registered Member

Default owl-not sure how

Hi,
thanks for the recommendation-maybe i should move into owl but don't quite know what to do. I understand the basic add 5 g carb/week until you stop loosing to find the carb level, and that fruit (berries) & nuts are allowed.

what else changes in OWL?

Nix
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-03, 06:11

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

#7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-03, 06:11
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%
Default Re: owl-not sure how

Quote:
Originally posted by nix
Hi,
thanks for the recommendation-maybe i should move into owl but don't quite know what to do. I understand the basic add 5 g carb/week until you stop loosing to find the carb level, and that fruit (berries) & nuts are allowed.

what else changes in OWL?

Nix

That is pretty much the crux of it-the 5 grams of carbs should come from additional veggies at first, though. Nuts should be added a bit later. I actually stayed at each of my 5 gram increases at a couple of weeks before I added another 5 grams.