Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 13:47
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: // Female 66
BF:
Progress:
Default ice cream making tips!

I just bought a Cusineart Ice cream maker and am going to attempt my first homemade low carb ice cream. I've been trying to browse around this site to find some tips and ideas for delicious SOFT ice cream. So I figured I would just ask and hopefully some of you who have experience can let me know what works best for you. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 16:40
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pye
I just bought a Cusineart Ice cream maker and am going to attempt my first homemade low carb ice cream. I've been trying to browse around this site to find some tips and ideas for delicious SOFT ice cream. So I figured I would just ask and hopefully some of you who have experience can let me know what works best for you. Thanks!

I wish I knew! My ice cream comes out nice and creamy, but freezes into a brick. I've heard adding glycerine helps, or alcohols. The alcohol I added seemed to make it a little better, but it was still pretty brick-like. I haven't tried the glycerine yet, I just got some though.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 16:42
On my way to 200's

Plan: high protein low carb
Stats: 372.6/358/250 Female 5'5
BF:I've got that!
Progress: 12%
Thumbs up

Hi Pye,

I had gotten some recipes off of the Lowcarbluxury.com site.

They were pretty good which i did in my cuisinart too.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 17:14
Registered Member

Stats: 301/230/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I have been making ice cream in my Cuisinart Ice Cream maker since the summer. I have found the secret to making ice cream that is scoopable right out of the freezer is adding Xylitol. My basic recipe is as follows:

2 c. heavy cream
1 c. Sugar free syrup, any flavour (Da Vinci, Torani etc)
2 egg yolks
1/3 c. Xylitol
2 Tbsp. Glycerine
1/2 tsp. xanthan gum

If it is not sweet enough, sometimes I will add 1/16 - 1/8 tsp of stevia, or additional Splenda. I find it has a good texture and is very scoopable right from the freezer.

You can use Vanilla syrup add different extracts for different flavours. I have also added chopped Ross Chocolate bars and/or toasted, chopped nuts during the last 5 minutes of freezing in the Ice Cream maker.

For Coconut Ice Cream - substitute 1 c. coconut cream for 1 c of the heavy cream and use coconut syrup and 1/4 cup of cocnut. I added 2 Dark Ross Chocolate bars (chopped finely) at the end. This is my current favorite!!

Hope this helps... Michele
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 17:53
Experimenter

BF:

Xylitol is a sugar alcohol though, right?
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 18:03
Registered Member

BF:

Yes, it is a sugar alcohol. I had not been using it until recently and my ice cream was also rock hard. I was softening it in the Microwave. It was not until I added the xylitol that it became scoopable. I haven't had any problems (stalling or otherwise) by adding it. However, this is a YMMV situation.

If you can get your hands on Erythritol, it is probably a better sugar alcohol. I can't get it in Canada.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-23-04, 11:14
Registered Member

Plan: atkin's
Stats: 200/163/160 Female 68 in
BF:
Progress: 93%

Tried to post this a second ago but my computer had a brain freeze. Hope it doesn't post twice.

So where did you find xylitol in Canada? Do you think adding a package of unflavoured gelatin might keep the ice cream softer too? I think I'll try that first because I have such a bad time with sugar alchohols.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-23-04, 12:12
Experimenter

BF:

They also add gums like Xantham, guar, and such things to commercial ice cream. I wonder if that helps keep them pliable too?
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-23-04, 16:45
Registered Member

BF:

I found Xylitol at a health food store in Newmarket, Ontario. I have also seen it online at www.lowcarbfooddepot.com.

Xanthan gum and glycerine help with the consistency also. I think you need all three ingredients to make it scoopable right out of the freezer.

Last edited by Michele-67 : Fri, Jan-23-04 at 16:49.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 05:45

Stats: 324/182.5/199? Male 6' 2'
BF:
Progress:
Default ice cream ingredients

Glycerin serves as sort of an anti-freeze and keeps the ice cream scoopable. It also adds some sweetness. Some people consider glycerin a carbohydrate and for some people it causes stalls so watch your reaction to it.

Sugar alcohols and regular alcohol also retard the formation of ice crystals when the ice cream freezes hard. Gums like Xanthan and guar improve the consistency and mouth feel of the product. Any sugar alcohol or alcohol will do it.

Emulsifiers like lecithin keep the fat droplets suspended in water. They also help the fat to move across the tounge and dissolve in the mouth, improving flavor. Eggs contain lecithin which is why so many ice cream recipes call for them. You can also buy regular lecithin granules and use that.