Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 06:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/217/140
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default confused on veggies

Induction allows for 2-3 cups of salad greens, and 1 cup of "other" veggies if you have only had 2 cups of greens. How does that fit in with the 20 carbs. Eggs and cheese have carbs, too. If, like most people, you have eggs for breakfast, and some cheese during the day, are you supposed to still keep the carbs at 20 total, which is what I've been doing, or are you supposed to get those veggies in no matter what?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 07:51

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 220/205/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

I'd get those veggies in, also I think the 2 cups salad is a good start, but I think you could eat more salad than that. Count the carbs in your vegetables and then deduct from it the fiber, that will give you your net carbs. Even with eggs and some cheese you should get the majority of your carbs from your vegetables (plus it'll help with regularity).
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 07:54
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 215/185/150
BF:
Progress: 46%

Even with the eggs, cheese etc. The carb count will stay below 20 if you use the low carb veggies as stated in the Atkins book.
The eggs have almost no carbs and you should be using a very low carb cheese I find it works for me. Good luck.

Last edited by Shirley145 : Thu, May-22-03 at 07:56.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 08:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/217/140
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default gettin clearer

Duh! I just thought to look up lettuce on fitday, and half of the carbs were fiber, so they don't count! I just assumed the carbs listed were the actual total. Well, we all know what assume means. Thanks for the "light"
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 09:19

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 220/205/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

also the hard cheeses have less carbs than the slices like for sandwiches and you can find the ones with peppers, dill and such that are really tasty.

I also think the veggies give you a sense of fullness plus the benefits!

I use the large leaf lettuces as wraps for tuna and such plus you can use zuchinni and put pizza toppings on or melt cheese on it. So there's lots of ways to use your veggies.

Also check out the top of the page on the orange bar under low carb recipes -- yummy ideas.