Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-08-02, 09:53

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%
Lightbulb The weirdest thing is happening with my measurements

I've been quietly frustrated for the past 2-3 months because nothing significant has been happening with my measurements. Anything under and half an inch anywhere I consider tape measure error (pulling too tight or loose) or measuring in just a bit of a different place.

Today was measurement day. No change again. Odd thing is the only pair of jeans I have is getting baggier and baggier around the hips, bum and thighs.

A while ago one of the "golden oldies" here mentioned that you can't possibly measure every place where you are loosing. So, thinking about that, the only logical conclusion I can come to is inches are going, but not in the exact 11 places I'm measuring. I may not being loosing inches exactly where I'm measuring..but maybe a little higher or a little lower, and definitley in places where I'm not measuring.

For example:
-this week I noticed for the first time that my face looks thinner. Even my husband noticed it and said something.
-the bum of my pants are looser, even though my hip measurement hasn't changed. So something is happening above and below the place where I measure my hips

If I had one word of advice for people like me who are secretly or openly frustrated about progress, it would be:

The measure of your progress, in order of importance is:
1. How much better you are feeling?
2. Are your clothes getting looser even though measurements and pounds aren't changing significantly? The pant-o-meter doesn't lie

(yeah, I know, we've heard that hundreds of times) The thing is, IT'S THE TRUTH. I guess a person like me doesn't get it until they stop banging their head against the wall.

Sorry for being so long winded. Getting this sorted out has helped me get refocused. Hope it helps someone else.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-08-02, 17:20
Registered Member

Plan: paleo
Stats: 166/131/115
BF:
Progress: 69%

Hi AngelaR,
You're making progress and that's what counts!

Past experience has shown me problems with both weighing on the scales and measuring with the tape measure. We've never had a pair of scales that stayed steady and consistent in weighing us. It seems where they sit on the floor, etc., makes a difference in the reading. And you're right about the possibility of pulling the tape a tad tighter than the time before. But if a person's clothes are fitting looser, that's a sure indication, especially if you put them on right after they've been washed and they're still hanging across the seat. I've noticed my pants will get a bit looser before the scales shows any decrease in weight.

Keep on keeping on.

Dandi
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-08-02, 18:46

Plan: My own: clean eating
Stats: 290/139/125 Female 5'5"
BF:no clue!
Progress: 92%
Default Me too

I had a similar feeling today when I measured. I have definitely lost weight and my clothes are looser, but the measurements weren't very exciting. Yet my clothes are feeling better, so I know things are progressing. Now, if I could just get my chest to stop shrinking and my waist to START shrinking, I'd be thrilled!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-08-02, 21:52
Registered Member

Plan: paleo
Stats: 166/131/115
BF:
Progress: 69%

I'm with you, Joanie, on wishing the waist would shrink. I keep losing pants sizes but every time the hips are loose and the waist is hard to fasten. Eventually I get so I can fasten the waist like it should be, but by then the hips and seat are starting to bag. I wonder if my waist will, or will not, finally shrink so the pants fit as they should, or am I just big waisted.

Dandi
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-09-02, 14:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default This seems to be the norm!

My waist just doesn't seem to change. It can go up or down an inch, but as the pants get looser, the waist is still tight.

My theory on this is: As you lose weight all over, the waistline actually drops lower on your body. Even though the waist remains the same inches, it is getting closer to the hips. This makes the pants bag and sag. (Notice that the pants are longer, too)

To see how this works, draw and outline of a figure. Now just inside that outline make another smaller one. As you go smaller and smaller, the waistline will be lower on that figure.

If I could reduse my waistline, I could easily go down a size or maybe even two! So I guess at this point, elastic waistlines are the better choice.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-09-02, 15:06

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

angela! yes!

Quote:
The measure of your progress, in order of importance is:
1. How much better you are feeling?
2. Are your clothes getting looser even though measurements and pounds aren't changing significantly? The pant-o-meter doesn't lie

yay for you! that's it! Yup, I know there are still days of frustration, but just keep saying that truth over and over, weigh and measure less and less...and the frustration eases. Thanks for sharing it with newbies, too.

I think that your face is slimming down is a great sign, too. And it's good you have a DH to confirm your hunches, too.

keep up the good work.