Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 12:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/132/122 Female 62
BF:23%
Progress: 79%
Default wine

Can any one tell me the actual amount of carbs in a glass of white Zinfendal (spelling). I find values on white wine, red wine and dessert wine. But I don't thik white zinfendals under any of them.

I've been estiamted a 3 1/2 oz glass is approx. 2.5-3 grams of carbs, but I'm only estimating.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 13:20

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 271/217/186 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 64%

Why do you think that white Zin is different from other white wines??

Nearly all white wines are made from reddish, or bluish grapes, they just remove the skins before letting the fermenting process begin.

Dr. Atkins lists white wine as being 0.9 total carbs and 0.9 digestible carbs, per 4 fl oz portion. I think that you can rely upon that for white Zin, as well.

I stick strictly to red wine these days. Soooo much better for my heart, dontcha know! heh
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 14:35

Stats: 207/103/105 Female 66
BF:Way too much
Progress: 102%

White Zin is actually a blush wine. The Zin grapes are a dark reddish/purple which produce a white juice. The skins are reintroduced into the juice during the fermantation process to give it the pink color. There are many variences within the varietal, that is why one bottle may be a little darker, slightly sweeter, etc.

I would use the values for a rose wine as the Zins tend to be a little sweeter than most whites. The flavored Zins, such as Wild Vines tend to be very high in carbs due to the added juices and sugars.

I think the value for rose is 1.5 - 2.0 per 4 oz glass or in that general area.

Have you tried contacting the cellar which makes your favorite brand? Most are extremely helpful with this sort of information.

Carrollee
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 14:43

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/189/140
BF:
Progress: 18%

I know I have posted this before.....BUT

I LOVE my wine but to cut back on the carbs try mixing it
with club soda to make spritzers!

I generally mix it 1/2 & 1/2, but you can experiment to your own liking. Still gives you the wine flavor and the buzz if that is what you are after, but it lowers the carb count!

Try it! You'll LIKE it!!!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 14:47
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Found a site and I think that a Zinfandal would come between red/white and dessert wine because it is sweeter.

Red Wine: 5 oz = 2.41 carbs
White Wine: 5 oz = 1.13 carbs
Dessert Wine: 3 oz = 10.04 carbs

Note: alcohol will definitely slow weightloss because your body has to burn it before it can burn fat and some people are stalled completely when they drink.

I would stick to white wine if I were you...

All the best.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 14:51

Stats: 235/195/190
BF:??%/15.9%/<10%
Progress: 89%
Default Be careful with the Vinfandel

I was drinking some for about a week mabey longer. It was not a top shelf wine by any means and I know that they are all different. I stalled and was trying to figure out why and that night I had a sip of wine and it came to me that it was real sweet. It was!!! Most do not list carb counts but this one did and it was full of sugar. I was treating myself to a sabatoge. 20g of carbs per serving and I had gone through the bottle in a weeks time. I was very disapointed.

NO MORE WINE FOR ME!!!!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 20:27

Stats: 207/103/105 Female 66
BF:Way too much
Progress: 102%

lbiessen,

I checked thru one of my books and found a listing for White Zinfandel (Colony). for 4 oz the nutritional breakdown is as follows:

Serving size - 4 oz
Calories - 82
Carbs - 2.7
Fat - 0.0

My reference is - The NutriBase guide to Carbohydrates, Calories and Fat in your food. By Dr. Art Ulene.

Carrollee