Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 00:37

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%
Default Done Stillman's for 4 days...what next? Opinions wanted.

Hi All!

I am a long term low carber (about 2 years). I've been doing the 'back to basics' challenge which involves doing stillmans for 4 days and then going back to induction for a month.

Stillmans QWL is very low carb/low fat, meat, eggs, fish only.

So I've done the 4 days on stillmans and lost about a pound a day! This has broken a months long stall. But what next?

I could go back onto Atkins induction and reintroduce the fat and vaggies - or I could stay low fat for a little longer and adapt the stillmans by just putting salad and veggies into it.

What do you thinK?

Robert

P.S. I have enough body fat to prevent rabbit starvation and I take a good range of suppliments.

Last edited by RCFletcher : Thu, May-08-03 at 00:39.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 05:27
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Smile

hi Robert,

I didn't realize you were following along with the Back to Basics challenge; that's totally cool!

The challenge participants who stuck with Stillman for more than a day found the transition to Induction's higher fat and carb level did not cause a rebound water weight gain. (Or whatever basic level of LC program being followed). I suspect that the fiber from the re-introduced vegetables and salads had a lot to do with that, and the conscious effort to maintain water intake at least 2L per day.

Stillman's diet tends to be rather low in calories .. it's really hard to eat large portions of lean meat sans anything else and the appetite suppression is potent. But .. just to reassure ... the "rabbit starvation" phenomenon isn't going to happen if a variety of protein foods are consumed, since these will have at least some naturally occuring fat in them. Those of us who tracked our intake found most days we were getting 30% of calories from fat while eating lean cuts of meat, skinless poultry, fish and whole eggs.

Good luck to you ... now I'm off to visit your journal

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 11:52

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Thanks for the reply Doreen,

I've had a job getting up to 1000 calories a day! I'm back on Atkins induction now. I'm still expecting a weight gain tomorrow morning if for no other reason than I now have some fibre in my body.

I lost about 400g a day! I just hope I can keep up the momentum.

Robert