Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 05:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/160/140 Female 5"3
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Anyone survived a summer party?

I`m going to a friends 40th bday party on Sept 6th and everything you can imagine, foodwise will be served. MY DH , being the funny guy that he is, told me that there was no carbs in vodka, so I shouldn`t feel too limited...lol..I had to laugh, "sure sure, instead of eating i`ll get loaded..lol" Lord knows that once you`ve been on Atkins for a while your alcohol tolerance really goes down. Anyone have any stories about summer parties that they ve been to?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 06:03

Stats: 259/191/160 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 69%

Actually, your DH is telling the truth: there are no carbs in vodka. Or most of the hard liquors.

I survived my DH's birthday party by filling up on steak and salad. When time came for dessert, I was too full to eat any. That was a good thing because the bread pudding with buttered rum sauce looked mighty good.

Good luck with the party. Remember: Nothing tastes as good as being slimmer feels!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 06:57

Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%

Summer parties are often barbeques, so that works pretty well for us. Avoid the buns and eat grilled hot dogs, burgers, chicken, even ribs (scrape off excess sauce if you're being strict). If you eat double the protein you'd usually have, you won't have room for anything else.

Tougher would be a buffet based around something like lasagna. If I knew that was the menu, I'd eat ahead of time, though I see that as a last resort.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 07:09
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

You could always offer to bring a dish, and make deviled eggs or a big salad to share. That way you know you'll have something you can eat, and you look like a very polite guest!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 07:14

Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%

Bringing deviled eggs is a great idea!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 09:49

Stats: 239/203/160 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 46%

or bring a meat lovers antipasta tray - full of olives, ham, marinated in olive oil and seasoning-cheeses, artichoke hearts, pepperochinis, Everyone loves it! Good noshing for us!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 09:57
Registered Member

Stats: 340/270/240 Male 6'2"
BF:52/28/22
Progress: 70%

I tried to keep myself busy by taking over the grill ... a few Mich Ultra's helped too ...
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 09:59

Plan: Atkins (modified - no red meat)
Stats: 324/244/150 Female 5'6
BF:46.6%?/42/20%
Progress: 46%

I made it through my sister's baby shower by sticking to the croup d'etat veggies and the salad, and by making sure to eat something high-protein/fat just beforehand.

My mom (alson on Atkins) ate the quiche, not thinking about the crust, and was sick for the next day.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 14:56

BF:

You have all given me fabulous ideas for this party! It`s funny how we tend to fixate on what we can`t have and don`t really focus on what we can have.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 19:25

Plan: Dukan & Running
Stats: 195.2/155.4/155 Female 5'9.5"
BF:Jigglin'/less/firm
Progress: 99%

I hate to say this, but at my birthday party this summer, while I ate Atkins-style (chicken, cheese, olives, asparagus on the grill) and my friends know I do Atkins, and provide for it- I ate a piece of my birthday cake and suffered no ill consequences at all! Like it's not tough enough turning 32, but no cake?? I'm dieting, but I'm not dead! The good news is, I had a teeny piece, and was so full from chicken that it wasn't a snarf-fest like last year's cake! Control- that is the key. The next day, it was just like it ever is- big cheesy omelette and sausage. I love this WOE!!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 08:30

Stats: 249/229/130 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 17%
Smile

Last Sunday, i had some friends over for a BBQ. Of the 12 people there, 3 of us were LC'ing, one had WLS, and one was a diabetic. So there were lots of burgers and hotdogs. And buns for those that wanted 'em. One person brought Cowboy beans (like baked beans with hamburger). Another brought fruit. There was LC Coleslaw and LC cucumbers and onions. Everyone had plenty to eat!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 08:41

Stats: 295/189/185 Male 70"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Hey 007,
You've received some good ideas for food to bring.

If you decide to drink, will it be a martini; stirred not shaken? Just curious....

Cheers!

BrewWa
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 08:42

Stats: 165/165/135 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Progress: 0%

I have had a couple of BBQs this summer, and I think it's pretty easy when you are the host. I've learned the hard way, though, not to go unprepared to someone else's party!
Have you tried baking anything? There is a chocolate cheesecake recipe here that I made for my last party, modified with almond flour crust and real whipped cream...It was a little messy to prepare but easy -- and no one would have guessed it was sugar free! 4.6g carb & 10g protein per slice. It's pretty easy to pass up the other junk when you have a good healthy treat.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 10:10

BF:

That cheesecake sounds divine! BrewWa, I`m not sure what I plan to drink, but it`ll have to be vodka based because any other alcohol makes me drunk as a skunk, even when I only have a few. I used to have great alcohol tolerance, but now i`m a cheap drunk, even when i`m not trying to be..lol
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 10:30

Stats: 295/189/185 Male 70"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Hi 007,

Just my attempt at humor. I'm a James Bond (007) fan. Martinis stirred, not shaken is his drink of choice.

I know what you mean alcohol effect since starting this.

Have fun at the party!

BrewWa