Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-07-04, 08:45
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Eating out Ethnic Foods

Ok, I'm a huge Thai cuisine lover so I'll post some of the dishes I've found that seem to be low carb friendly. I always ask for a side of steamed broccoli instead of rice, then I put my curry on top of that.

Panang curry -- Duck is my favorite. This uses coconut milk, panang curry paste and legal low carb veggies + meat. So yummy.

Some salads -- Some of the Thai salads are really made with a lot of ground meat and veggies. Just ask whether the salad dressing is sweet tasting, you'll want to avoid those. I think Larb might be a good choice.

Things to avoid: Chicken yellow curry and Mussaman curry. Careful, some of the curries have potatoes in them. :\

Tom Ka Gai Soup: I think this is probably a good choice. Its a coconut cream soup with lots of chicken and I don't think it has potatoes.

The Thai food I get usually doesn't have the thickened sauces like Chinese food does, so I don't think they use much, if any, corn starch.

Ok, share your favorite ethnic food that you eat on low carb!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-07-04, 08:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 169/132/132 Female 153 cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Thanks for the ideas, Nan!

We have a new Thai place in the 'hood, and I wondered what to order... I will try Panang if they have it!

M
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-07-04, 09:00

Plan: PPLP
Stats: 181/171/125 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 18%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I always ask for a side of steamed broccoli instead of rice, then I put my curry on top of that.

Wow, great idea! So simple and yet it never occured to me to ask for substitutions in Thai or Chinese restaurants.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 14:46

Stats: 275/247/175 Female 5'10
BF:39/36/24or less
Progress: 28%

I went to a local japanese resturant and they have a ton of low carb items. I love kobe steak! and the veggies rule. Just skip the rice and all is well. They have a few sushi items that have no rice as well.
I have yet to find a lot of my native (scottish) dishes that are on the low carb side (sooo not into hagas) but the beef and roasts are ok.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 21:32
Registered Member

Plan: basic low carb
Stats: 219/202/170 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 35%

I love Thai food too, but I gotta warn you, those curries normally have sugar in them. Sweetness is one of the tastes Thai cooks work with (so many Thai dishes are sweet and spicy).

Luckily those are one of the easiest ethnic foods to make at home--you can get unsweetened coconut milk and Thai curry pastes in cans, and use Splenda instead of sugar when you make the curry.

My not-quite-authentic curry recipe is basically this... saute some sliced mushrooms. Add a couple tablespoons of red curry paste and a tablespoon of the thick coconut cream off the top of a can of coconut milk (not "cream of coconut," that's a whole different thing); fry until the coconut cream starts to separate a little. Add the rest of a can or two of unsweetened coconut milk, and some Splenda to taste (liquid splenda if you can get ahold of it--no carbs!). Then add some raw shrimp or sliced chicken. I usually add some drained baby corn (carb count seems low on this) and a handful of frozen green peas. Simmer for a while. When it's almost done, I add a couple handfuls of Thai basil leaves and a dash of fish sauce, cook briefly, and serve like a stew.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 23:01

Plan: General
Stats: 200/200/170 Male 74
BF:
Progress: 0%

Went to an Indian place last night, ate butter chicken and saag. Probably not the foods to eat on induction though.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 23:36
Lobstergal

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantabulus
I have yet to find a lot of my native (scottish) dishes that are on the low carb side (sooo not into hagas) but the beef and roasts are ok.

I found one......

Scotch Eggs

Title: Scotch Eggs
Servings: 4
8 Eggs, hardboiled 2 lb Sausage meat

Shell eggs. Wrap each egg evenly with 1/4 lb sausage meat. Fry at moderate
temperature until brown on all sides. Drain on paper towels. Chill in
refrigerator. When ready to serve, line platter with lettuce and arrange
Scotch Eggs, cut in half, among the lettuce.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-09-04, 07:03

Stats: 190/159/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 62%

How about Lorne Sausage! That's a delicious Scottish specialty.

Mmmmm. I could go for a nice slice about now.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, May-09-04, 08:04

Stats: 265/247.5/145 Female 5'4.25"
BF:50%/46%/15%
Progress: 15%

my enenmy is spanish food. I havent' found too many low carb versions, except making them myself at home. I haven't been to a spanish resturant in a long time. I did go to DON PABLO'S about 2 months ago and they had "low carb fajitas" on the menu, I was excited! But the tortillas were regular wheat tortillas instead of the flour or corn, and not low carb ones DANG IT!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-09-04, 18:27

Plan: ex-atkins
Stats: 175/105/115 Female 5 ft 0
BF:
Progress: 117%

I love cooking Thai food. If there is a good investment to make during OWL, it is a good Thai cook book. Thai food is generally quick and easy to make, the only real requirement is the ability to follow instructions (works on careful blending of flavourings). And coconut milk gives a good fat boost to your percentages.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 22:05

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 200.6/156.8/120 Female 5' 4"
BF:Flabby
Progress: 54%

Sushi!!! I can eat it every day. I found a few things that don't have rice, but I do indulge in a few that have it...911 roll. Yum!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 23:23

Stats: 275/247/175 Female 5'10
BF:39/36/24or less
Progress: 28%

I found that in a pinch a taco bell chicken or beef soft taco with out the tort is good.
My new fave is shepards pie with cauliflower insted of tatos...I tried it and it was very yummy!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 00:34
Lobstergal

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by binki
How about Lorne Sausage! That's a delicious Scottish specialty.

Mmmmm. I could go for a nice slice about now.

it is not low carb. There is bread in it or oatmeal.