Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 10:47

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 180/155/140 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default SBD on a budget

Hi all,

My husband and I are currently on Adkins, but would like to switch to the SBD. Our only reservation is that it seems like SB will be a lot more expensive than Adkins, and our budget is pretty tight right now. Anybody have any thoughts on/tips for doing the SBD on a budget?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 14:43

Plan: Sugar Busters
Stats: 190/184/120
BF:
Progress: 9%

While we spent quite a bit to start phase one, there are more economical choices. This diet allows 1/2 cup serving size of several varieties of beans (Kidney of all colors, black, butter, limas, green, wax, chickpeas, hummus etc.) Water-packed tuna, light, and a wide assortment of lower cost vegetables like cabbage.
Its the salads that really add up this time of year. We've converted several soup recipes for lunch instead that are far more economical, especially if you shop at Costco.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 15:01

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 180/155/140 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Thanks for the tips! What we're having trouble with are the meats. We've been getting by on Adkins by eating chicken thighs and the cheapest ground beef-chicken breasts and lean ground sirloin are way more expensive!
We may try a modified plan...stop covering everything in butter and cream, only have fatty cuts of meat one or two nights a week, switch to lowfat cheese, stuff like that. I'll let y'all know how it goes!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 14:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 167/158/147 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 45%

All I can suggest, is stock up on Chicken Breast and lean ground beef when it's on sale!!
I will not pay over $1.69/lb. bnls sknls chix breast, and when it goes on sale for this price we usually buy 20 pounds, and that gets us by until the next sale. (THINK...........if you buy on a whim bnls sknls chix br.....at the $2.99 OR MORE/lb............or buy 20 pounds at the $1.69........HOW much you are saving.....yes, it's an initial cost, but sometimes you can't afford to NOT buy on the sale!!)
I also belong to grocery shopping/coupon boards that have helped me get through by people saying what good deals they get at certain grocery stores, like Super Valu, Winn Dixie, Bi-Lo, Publix, Kroger, and Super Walmarts to name a few. Even though this way of living is more expensive to our pocket book, we still get by with a much more reduced grocery bill than all my friends, who aren't even on this diet.

Good luck, and don't forget tuna in the can and getting "almost outdated" meats (just get them in your freezer the second you get home)
Heidi

Last edited by siara28 : Tue, Feb-03-04 at 14:03.