Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 11:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 213/213/150
BF:
Progress:
Default Question for the Ketone Strip Experts

On my bottle of Ketone strips, it says I should test for Ketones first thing in the morning. I've done that the last 3 days, and the color didn't change. But on those same days, I've tested in the afternoon, after I've taken my Atkins supplements and eaten, and the color changes.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 11:43

BF:
Progress:
Default Qustion for ketone strips experts...

Oops! didn't mean to post that...I wasn't finished! On my bottle of Ketone strips, it says I should test for Ketones first thing in the morning. I've done that the last 3 days, and the color didn't change. But on those same days, I've tested in the afternoon, after I've taken my Atkins supplements and eaten, and the color changes.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 11:47

Plan: low carb & Atkins
Stats: 318/296/195 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 18%

those sticks were origianlly intended for diabetic (type I) people who were in risk of ketoacidosis, and the best time for testing was in the morning.

in general, the color change on the stick means that you are burning fat, any fat, the fat you eat or you own body fat. For us (LC people) it is an indication that we do not burn carbs.... which is good.. I could be in ketosis for over a week and not lose (probably eating too much fat and protein), but I do not gain eaither,..
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 12:31

Stats: 153/139/120
BF:
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arie
those sticks were origianlly intended for diabetic (type I) people who were in risk of ketoacidosis, and the best time for testing was in the morning.

in general, the color change on the stick means that you are burning fat, any fat, the fat you eat or you own body fat. For us (LC people) it is an indication that we do not burn carbs.... which is good.. I could be in ketosis for over a week and not lose (probably eating too much fat and protein), but I do not gain eaither,..

You eat TOO much fat?? And protien?? Isn't that what atkins is???
I think it would be almost impossible to get too much fat in a day----sheesh, getting it to 75% is a herculean task. Maybe what you intended to say is that you are just tkaing in too many calories _total_ to lose much fat.

As far as keto strips go, your color can vary all throughout the day. DON"T go by the intensity of color as much.....just look for the change to a pink tone. And just like with the scale, don't obsess. I notice that my keto sticks are much darker in color after exercise. Also on the days that I eat fewer calories, I show a darker color. So, it can vary for the "right" reasons......but, you shouldn't live and die by them. As for time of day, just do it at a time that works for you-----maybe test a strip an hour or so before eating a meal so that you know your food isn't affecting it.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 12:32
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Diatary fat can also turn to keotenes and cause the strips to show positive. Deydration can also cause a darker color as the keotenes will be more cencentrated. I wouldn't worry to much about the srips though. Many people loose just fine without any color change.

Have you been on induction for only 3 days, or just testing for 3 days? It can take longer then that to enter ketosis for some when starting this WOE. Also are you sure you are getting a good ratio of fat to carbs and protien? Too many carbs or too much protien could mean your body is still burning gluclose. Diatary fat gets every thing going, and provides calories for energy without raising insulin levels.

It could just be a case of be more patient. If you are losing weight or clothes are starting to fit better, don't stress the strips. They aren't worth it
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 13:08

BF:
Progress:

Thanks ya'll for your thoughts! Could the vitamine supplements that I'm taking be what is turning my strips purple? (that was my original question, but befor I could get it out, I switched to "caps lock" and it automatically posted!)

Since the color doesn't change when the vitamins are out of my system (in the morning) I'm wondering if the vitamins are causing the strips to change in the afternoon....any thoughts on that?
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 13:09
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
You eat TOO much fat?? And protien?? Isn't that what atkins is???

Atkis is not a high protien diet. It is only an adiquet protien and high fat diet. Yes you can eat to much protien which is hard on the kidneys and will convert to gluclose just as carbs will. If your getting 70% from fat though, there is a really good chance you aren't eating too much protien. The only time I've seen anyone that maybe could of worries was one member who was eating almost 450g of protien a day, and that made up more then 50% of their overall calories.