Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 14:15
Registered Member

Plan: common sense low carb
Stats: 165/160/135
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default Blood Test Results after Low-Carbing

I posted this in the War Zone because it was a follow-up to another message I posted, but I wanted to post it here as well to see if I can get some advice/reaction.

I started eating low-carb weeks ago. I have not lost much weight, maybe 3 pounds.

I had blood drawn last Friday for my annual cholesterol check. Here is what has happened:

My total cholesterol level is 180, and I think this is down by about 20 points from my last check. The biggest difference was my triglyceride level. It dropped way down from 400-something to 194.

The bad news is my good cholesterol (HDL) level dropped 2 points to 33 and my bad cholesterol (LDL) level went up 16 points to 106.

The nurse said the change in the HDL and LDL are due to a reduction in my triglycerides. She also said she believes my levels will improve if I lose weight (I think I have about 20 pounds to lose to be at my "ideal" weight).

So....I'm not sure what to do at this point. I believe low-carbing has helped with the trigly. But it apparantly has had a negative impact on my HDL/LDL levels. If losing weight is all that helps improve cholesterol levels, why do I need to eat low-carb? And if I continue to eat low-carb, will my HDL/LDL levels continue to be negatively effected.

What do you all think?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 14:25

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I think eating low carb is much easier than eating low fat.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 14:30
Registered Member

BF:

Well, yes, it is much easier to eat low-carb than low-fat. Fat is everywhere and difficult to avoid.

However, if eating more fat than carbs is causing my cholesterol profile to worsen, I don't think it's worth it. A heart attack or stroke is not what I'm aiming for!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 14:42

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Ah, thats like my asserting to avoid carbs because I don't want to become diabetic. LOL

how about this? fat foods taste infinitely superior to low fat foods?
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 14:44

Plan: WebMD w/LC choices
Stats: 322/297/199 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 20%
Let's see if I can get this out straight...

I get my cholesterol levels checked every 3 mos. or so to see progress- whether it be negative or positive. Fortunately, I've only seen positive since starting lo-carbing, but then again I've only had one draw so far since my baseline tests last August.

My cholesterol was normal before starting LCing, 187 I believe, but the HDL/LDL ratio was all out of whack. My triglycerides were baaaad, like 400+. While being a follower of the low-fat diet for many years, my cholesterol and tri's kept climbing higher and higher. When I dropped low-fat went to eating the 'western diet' everything dropped a touch and my cholesterol 'normalized'- again, the tri's were still high -- mind you, there was no weight loss.

Anyhoo, my results from January were wonderful. After LCing for 3.5 mos. (at that point) my total cholesterol dropped to 170 w/a 3:1 HDL/LDL ratio (a first for me- it was about equal before) and my tri's dropped 151 (or so) points. I'm interested to see how things go after I have my next draw in May since I can't (and won't) give final judgement on only one running of the tests.

Basically what I'm saying is that you may want to consider continuing LCing and have another draw in a few months. At that point you'd have more information to see whether or not you have a steady drop in tri's and how your HDL/LDL ratio is.

Just from my experience I noticed that my 'diet' or lack thereof (basically my food choices) had a great impact on my cholesterol levels regardless of whether or not I lost weight.

Best of luck in your decision and your pursuit of health!

HTH,
Nikki

Last edited by Tiggerdy : Mon, Mar-24-03 at 14:45.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 15:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/225/130
BF:
Progress: 10%

And I think another thing is that the medical community is finding more evidence that high triglycerides play a bigger role in heart attacks than thought before. (I tried to paste a site with some info, but it wouldn't go there for some reason.) Look how improved your tri-count is.
I agree, I would stick for a while longer and get re-tested. I know that this WOE brought all my bad readings down. Good Luck.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 15:17
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Re: Blood Test Results after Low-Carbing

Quote:
Originally posted by Nutri-nut
I.........The bad news is my good cholesterol (HDL) level dropped 2 points to 33 and my bad cholesterol (LDL) level went up 16 points to 106.
I think you're doing well and should stick with it. The nurse is right, your LDL will level out over time.

Besides, your LDL to HDL ratio is 3.2 (106/33), which is fine. 2.3 - 4.1 is average; over 5.6 is high.

A HDL of 33 is "ok", but would be better to get it up over 40. Over 60 is protective against heart disease even if the LDL is elevated.

Some things that will help increase HDL ... eat more monounsaturate fat from virgin olive oil, raw nuts and seeds, and unrefined oils made from them, avocaodoes. Eat more fatty fish or take fish oil supplements. Have a glass of red wine now and then . If you smoke, please quit. And exercise, in particular aerobic/cardio type, has been shown to improve HDL by up to 10%.

You might also consider taking niacin (vitamin B3) ... studies show it can result in significant rise in HDL. It can cause uncomfortable flushing though. Here's more information about using niacin from Whole Health MD.

hth,

Doreen
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 17:39
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you for all the information. I will continue eating like this because, honestly, I FEEL better. I have to admit, that I do eat dessert now and then, but I try to make up for it the next day.

I am very pleased with the reduction in tri's. The doctor was horrified with the first result which was over 400.

Gotta get the bike out more and go for a ride. I'm hoping the weather will cooperate so I can do that more often.

I use olive oil a lot, but I can't stand fish And I don't smoke - never have, never will.

Thanks again.

And, Frederick, fat does taste good. If I could have my way, I'd eat a pound of bacon every morning!!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 19:36

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Based on the information I posted for you in another thread, your HDL/Triglyceride ratio has gone from 11.4 to 5.8...that's a substantial improvement in only a few weeks! If you're triglycerides come down only a bit more (and they likely will), that would put you in the near-optimal zone for this ratio according to the Eades'.