Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 19:22

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 200/180/140
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default Adkins question

I have an adkins question. I have been on Adkins for 10 weeks. I have never moved out of induction, since I have 50 pounds to lose. I have lost 20 so far. I have been at a plateau for about 3 weeks. The book says if you are at a plateau go back to induction for a jump start again. What do you do if you never moved out of induction? I haven't cheated so I don't know what is going on? Any suggestions or ideas?????? Thanks so much
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 19:41

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Adkins question

Quote:
Originally posted by tracyR
The book says if you are at a plateau go back to induction for a jump start again. What do you do if you never moved out of induction? I haven't cheated so I don't know what is going on? Any suggestions or ideas?????? Thanks so much

When very low carb doesnt work raising carbs often does. Induction is supposed to be fore 2 weeks, followed by OWL. It sounds like it's time you moved on, Tracy.

Eating <20g of carbs a day and eating <30g of carbs a day makes very little difference to fat burning for most of us. Also, those carbs should be 'effective carbs', that is, carbs minus any fiber. This gives you an overall lower carb count, letting you eat more of a variety of foods, and specifically, more veggies.

Also, give yourself some credit here - you've lost 20 lbs! That alone takes some adjustment from your body. This is the time when you should focus and work on fine tuning your WOE - make it a WOL. Learn how to eat and how to live so that when you do reach your goal you'll be equipped to maintain it!

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 19:45
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%
Smile

There could be lots of reasons that you're stuck. The best way for us to help you is for you to start a journal and post a few days' worth of menus in there. The mentors and senior members are very helpful and will be glad to give you some suggestions.

If you've been on induction for 10 weeks, my first guess is that you're body has grown accustomed to the "same ol' foods" (?) day in and day out. Try some new veggies!! Or eat 5-6 small meals instead of 3.

Are you eating processed meats? A lot of cheese? Too many diet soft drinks and/or artificial sweeteners?

Perhaps you're eating too many calories, or not enough calories! Again, it's hard to say without knowing exactly what you're eating.

Most likely, however, you've just hit a plateau....which is VERY normal. I just came off of a 6 week stall myself but have finally started losing steadily again. You just gotta stick with it!! Maybe shake things up a bit by adding 20 carbs a day for a while,then go back to induction if you want.

Are you exercising? If you're not exercising, you're not doing Atkins!!

Hope this helps....
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-02, 05:59

Plan: formerly Atkins
Stats: 350/232/225 Female 5' 8"
BF:mooooo/moo/buff
Progress: 94%

Teri & Nat always give great advice, so listen to them. Posting some menus would help everyone tell you what they think could be a problem food for you. I have pretty much stuck to induction for almost 3 months now and have had weeks with no loss, you just have to learn (and it isn't easy!) to ride through it and stick with it. Also, are you using a tape measure to measure yourself? Sometimes when the scale hates us, the tape measure can make you feel better and show some progress.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-02, 09:25
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Thanks for that shot-in-the-arm, DL.... I appreciate that!