Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 19:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/?/160 Female 66 inches
BF:Who knows?!
Progress: 53%
Question Questions about water...

I was just thinking something.. and I was wondering if anyone had any answers....

Is it possible to drink TOO much water? I mean, I know it's this rediculously high amount for most people who are overweight.. but is it possible to drink too much? What would happen? Would you start to retain water? Would you get bloated? Would it disrupt your elimination functions? Can it prevent proper nutrient absorbtion?

Thanks to any wise person who can clear this up for me... not that I'm worried or anything, but with all the rivers of water I'm depleting, I'm just worried about the impact (no, not on the environment.. grin!).

Blessings!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 20:17
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

It is possible to have water intoxication. Some people will drink massive amounts of water all at once for the purpose of getting intoxication. The nurse I was talkign to about it said thier stomachs would be distended like mad.

It can also happen to people who work in extreamly harsh conditions and rapidly deplete thier electrolites. That is why desert workers, or those working in heat will take salt pills.

Electrolyte and nutrient flushing can be an issue for LC's. That is why it is important for most to suppliment pottassium/magnesium/calcium.

It is very unlikely you would get anywhere near the amounts needed for water intoxication sitting at your computer sipping. I drink 400-500 oz a day and have no problems. It is important to space you water outthrough the day. Tons of water all at once will result in the excess being flushed and wasted. Then later when your muscles need the hydration again, there will be none so they will hang on to the water weight. Drinking more water through out the day to constantly keep yourself hydrated can help lower water retention and weight.

Other things that can effect water weight: sodium levels, hormones (TOM), heat, humidity and so on. Green tea is a natural duretic as is the LC diet. If you have a problem with blaoting around TOM make sure you are drinking enough water, and sip on green tea.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 05:42

Stats: 140.0/121.5/125 Female 5'3
BF:going down!
Progress: 123%

LadyBelle,

Great answer. I love reading your posts.
I think you clarified this up perfectly in my book!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 06:05

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

Yes it's possible to drink too much. Water is great for the body but I think too much of anything just isn't good. Body needs to retain some electrolytes.. drinking too much will wash them out of your system. I think a balance of around 100-120 oz a day of water is more than adequate.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 09:48
wrkn off da baby fat

Stats: 242.5/242.5/160 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I go to bed around 10:30pm at what time should I stop drinking water so as not to be running to the bathroom during the middle of the night?
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 12:02
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
I go to bed around 10:30pm at what time should I stop drinking water so as not to be running to the bathroom during the middle of the night?

That's a completely personal thing. Some people have larger bladders then other. Typicaly if you've been pregnant it's also harder to hold. Just experiment. I keep wate rby the bed, but drink little at night. I sometimes sleep with my mouth open though and when I wake up I have a sore throat and cotton mouth. It's good to grab fast

NoSunNoFun- Thanks
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 12:28

Stats: 205/?/160 Female 66 inches
BF:Who knows?!
Progress: 53%

HAHA Sophotia! I have that same problem.. I try to stop drinking about 9pm because I go to bed around 10-11... that way I do a nice big pee before bed and I'm usually okay till about 4 (which is okay since my baby gets up around then anyhow.. haha!).

Thank you Ladybelle for the great answer.. you answered me perfectly and I feel much better now! I'll pass on the info to DH since he and I were talking about it last night after I wrote that post... he wasn't sure either.

Blessings!!!!!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 15:02

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Some meds contribute, too

Esp. the anti-psychotics, which aren't mentioned much on this list. They can make you constantly thirsty and drive water intoxication, but for most non-schizophrenics, I think you're pretty safe.

I have to watch potassium when I'm working outside in the summer, but my twitchy legs tell me when I need that.

I use a full bladder as a personal alarm clock. I have a big glass when I brush my teeth at both ends of the day, and I've worked out how much I can hold overnight. But it's good for me to go to bed with a "full load" so that all my little dehydrated cells (don't use a/c) can get "refreshed" overnight. It is AMAZING how much water I can drink in the hour before bedtime in the summer, and have not much show up in the morning.