Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 11:52

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 230/230/163 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress:
Cool G'day! New to the forum ....

I just joined the forum today on the recommendation of a friend from another forum!

I'm a 42 year old Mommy of 3 year old Paris and 2 year old Ciel, I live in Central Illinois and try to eke a living by selling on eBay under the ID Snootyvixen. I also do lampworking (making beads from glass) and design and sell jewelry. I'm originally from the UK, but went to Australia in 1981 on a 12 month working holiday visa and ended up staying 17 years! I met my husband online and moved to the US in 1998.

I lost 17lb on Atkins about a year back, but found that - without changing what I was eating - the weight slowly started creeping back on until I had gained that 17lb and more.

I had an 80% thyroidectomy back in 2000 that left me on Synthroid and I'm positive that this has something to do with the weight gain after the loss. My insurance won't cover a change to natural thyroid, so I can't go that route. Oh how I loved Dr Atkins plan though! My in-laws have both lost a lot of weight on his plan and they look wonderful. I have another friend in NYC who has lost a huge amount of weight on Atkins also, so I know it works ... it's just not for me.

I've decided to try the South Beach Diet to see if that suits my thyroid! I'm not able to jump into it properly as my husband and I are currently going through a divorce and, as he is the breadwinner, he does the shopping and is terribly insensitive to my dietary needs. Whoever told me they could do a good job of grocery shopping? Sheesh!

Well, that's it for me! Oh, no - I forgot to mention that I broke my ankle last Thursday night, so the scales are a no-no for me right now as I have no idea how much the cast weighs!

Wish me luck!

Vikki
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 14:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Welcome to the forum! There are a lot of people doing different diets on here. It's not just Atkins. Sounds like you are really going through a tough time. I admire the fact that you are thinking about dieting and eating healthy. I have been know to drown my troubles in food in the past. You are in my thoughts and prayers and good luck. Jump right in and join us!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 14:43

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 220/160.4/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 99%

Vikki ...

Welcome to the forum ..

I'm from the Milwaukee suburb area .. in Wisconsin .. nice to meet you ..

I've been working on my eating plan for about 2 1/2 years or so now .. I'm also the president of the Turtle club .. but this forum is the most excellent on the internet ..

There are so many people on here that really know their stuff .. and since we're all in the same boat weight wise .. we can understand the frustrations that come from trying to lose weight ..

Sounds like you've got your handsful right now .. my best wishes to your success .. take it one day at a time; and it's alot easier than trying to think too far ahead ..

Good luck, and hope to see you around!!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 08:22

Plan: Akins
Stats: 137/124?/110 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress:

The good news for you is that it's known that most people loose weight when going through a devorce! Hang in there, The South Beach works but cheating on it doesn't. South Beach requires light excersize. Make sure you read the diet very carefully. Cheers from down under, Neva
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 17:12

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 230/230/163 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the welcome, guys!

I did lose on the "divorce diet", but then put it back on *sigh*

I also broke my ankle 3 weeks ago, and lost again while trying to hobble around on crutches! THEN, when I lost the crutches, I basically became inactive again and put on all I lost *big sigh*

BUT, now I'm back on the straight and narrow!

Vikki
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 08:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Welcome to the forum...

...good luck and happy, healthy healing!

Donald