Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 06:31
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00
BF:none
Progress: 11%
Default Protein Power vs. Atkins Opinions Please

Hello everyone
I am kinda new to this site, and I haven't posted very much, but I am beginning to feel very comfortable, and I now have a question for whomever can answer me. I would like opinions on the Protein Power Plan and The Atkins Plan. I have done the Atkins Plan quite a few times, but lately I feel I just want to go a different route. I know I am a person who has to eat this way, I have known it since I had my third child. I was always a gestational diabetic when pregnant. By the third baby my doctor put me on a high protein diet. It made all the difference in the world concerning the baby's weight (normal) my other two were almost 10#s. and it made a huge difference for me. But that was many yers ago, and I have gone on and off lo carb plans ever since. I have always struggled with my weight, but now I am in peri-menopause and the struggle has become so much bigger. So, what do ya say? .....anybody wanna fess up here and tell me how they fared on either of these 2 ways of eating? I also must say I really am happy that I found this site, It keeps me on track with my goals and helps me know I am not alone in my quest for better health. Susann
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 07:24

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%

Hello Susann,

Welcome aboard. Glad you found us.

People pick different plans for their own reasons. Some like more structure, some like more flexibility, some like reward meals, etc.

I choose PP over Atkins because I felt it gave me a bit more flexibility at the start. I was afraid of failing with the more rigid Induction level of Atkins.

Atkins and PP are both based on sound science and good nutrition, so the mechanics behind them are very similar.

The secret to any of these plans is very simple...DRINK WATER. DRINK LOTS OF WATER. It's funny how something so simple can make all the difference in the world.

Good luck on your journey. PS, I see that you and I are both about the same age, same start weight, and dealing with "maturing" issues. One of the things that I was really concerned about was putting on "menopause weight". I'm happy to report that thanks to LCing this will no longer be an issue. Plus, there has been a noticable difference in the health of my skin, especially my face. It's grand to grow older gracefully!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 08:11
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00
BF:none
Progress: 11%
Default Hey Angela...

Thank you so much for replying to my note Angela
It is good to hear from someone who's profile is close to my own.
I have the Protein Power Book (the first one) In fact I think I have every diet book ever written, but mostly those concerning Lo-carb plans. My book is unfortunately packed away somewhere in one of the boxes still in storage. (we recently moved).
Is there any chance you could write down 1 days plan of how you do the diet? As far as I can remember from my last read from the book, (over a year ago) You deduct fiber grams and the diet is very similar to Atkins in many ways. But I remember becoming confused when it came to counting protein grams, and that is why I went back to the simple way of Atkins. I see that you have lost a fair amount of your weight on this plan, and that makes me all the more interested. If it is too much trouble to write down a day plan for me , that's ok. I'll eventually head down to barn and dig out my book. If I can figure out which box it is in!
Thank you so much for your incentive it warmed my
Susann
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 10:29

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%

If you look at the bottom of this post (actually it's on the bottom of everyone's post if they have a journal) you will see an icon that says journal. Click on that and you will be sent over to my journal. I was very meticulous about putting my mealplans in at the beginning...then I wandered into more thoughts and reflections.

There are losts of other people here doing PP. A visit to their journals may prove inspiring too.

The PP book has a section in it where you calculate your lean body mass, and go thru a number of calculations until you find the minimum amount of protein grams you should be eating. I'm at 90 a day minimum, but usually take in 120-130 (I like big steaks and lots of chicken at dinner).

The calculation is a bit too complicated to reproduce here, and I've loaned my PP book out too so can't give you the short version. If you do a search on this site for protein and minimum, you will likely find posts that discuss minimum levels. The question is asked all the time.

For now, I personally wouldn't worry about going too high. I'd be more concerned about too low. If I remember correctly, the absolute min is 60 gr per day, but that's for a pertty tiny person.

I went for a while without worrying about the right level of protein. It's not going to be a show stopper, like taking in the wrong level of carbs.

ps..if you are curious...I've gone from a size 18 to a 12 , 6 inches from my waist, 5 from each thigh, the rest from my tummy and hips.