Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 15:27

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 151/148/125 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Dr. appointment soon..I have a few questions for you guys..

I am going to be going to an endocrinologist (sp?) as soon as they can fit me in, I am calling tomorrow. I had blood work done for some joint problems (which have now disappeared since Atkins) but they found my thyroid readings were off and I have a HYPERthyroid (yes, hyper, not hypo). They checked it 2x and the same thing. So, when I get to the doc, is there any chance of them making me drink sugar water, or some other test where I would have to compromise my WOL? Like having to drink sugar water or something like that? Help...Im scared of doctors as it is...and now Im afraid theyre gonna tell me that I shouldnt be doing Atkins, and make me drink weird stuff for 1 of their tests. Maybe I shouldnt tell them how I eat? What kind of tests do you think they'll run? Blood work, urine samples...stuff like that? Im so scared of doctors. Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 17:56
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Always be honest with your doctor. I really don't think they will make you drink sugar water. The only time I've heard of that done is testing for gestional diabetis in pregnant women. They may do it for hyperthyriod I supose. Blood tests can tell the levels of TH (whatever) as well as T3 and T4 components (you know what I mean). They may also test urine for protien and sugars.

You are on maintnance and really should be upping your carb levels regularly to find your tolerence level. You can probably easy go close to 100g of carbs a day with the thyriod going so strong If you are nervous about the word "Atkins" explain to your doctor you are removing sugars, starches, and overly refined/processed foods from your diet while increasing the amount of veggies and fruit you eat. Tell him it's made the joint problems better as well as overall health. What doctor can argue with that.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 18:20
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Don't worry if you end up having a test where they make you drink sugar water - it's a glucose tolerance test, and it will be very useful. You'll know whether or not you have diabetes, and if they also take insulin levels, you'll know if you're insulin resistant and to what degree. Yeah, it'll throw you out of ketosis for a bit , but the benefits outweigh that.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 19:13

BF:

Haha LadyBelle I love your description of Atkins. I think Ill use that. I am upping carbs...Going through the OWL phase cuz I completely skipped it. 5 carbs a week for awhile, then Ill go to 10. I was wondering, in the DANDR he keeps saying *carbs* is he referring to NET carbs? And when you say 100g a day, are you saying NET carbs too?
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 21:01
Resident Loud Mouth

BF:

Yes net carbs. Go ahead and subtract the fiber out. Getting enough fiber is important and when people go for total carbs they often short change the fiber.

As for sugar alcohols, that's up to you. I count all carbs except fiber, including glycerine, sugar alcohols, and full yogurt carbs. They say it has minimal impact on blood sugar, but minimal is different then no impact. Some people have no problem at all though.

Since you are already to your goal and a little past you can probably afford to up your carbs by 10g a week, then when you hit a spot you are going to gain, or you just feel ick, back it off by 5.

Remember to, try to get the best nutricion for your carb dollar. In other words choose fruits and whole grains instead of sugars or white bread because for the same amount of carbs you would get alot more vitamins and so on. Look at kellog's all bran too. a 1/3 cup serving is 24g carb, but 13 of those are pure fiber (they should rename it colon blow )

I found some WASA whole grain crackers today. They have 10g carb, 2 fiber for a cracker the size of a gram cracker, and kind of thick. I would only have half of one at a time on my carb count, but you could look for things like that for upping yours. Spread some salmon, tuna salad, or dip on top. Make sure to get that fresh produce in, and maybe stock up on frozen berries now that winter hits.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 21:07
Resident Loud Mouth

BF:

Remember too that carbs retain a bit more water then protien or fat. That is why it's important to try that higher carb level for the whole week. If you raise it by 10 one day, and the next day you're suddenly up 2 pounds, it is probably water weight from the increased retention. Just drink your water, wait it out, and the pounds will probably be gone by the next day
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 21:35

BF:

Hey LadyBelle, thanks for the advice. I have been adding only fruits and veggies as a source of carbs. Actually, Im getting a lil too excited with the fruits I had strawberries and 1/2 a small apple today (both with a source of protein). Also had my dinner salad..Not enough veggies today, but I didnt have much in the house. Went shopping though. Picked up a green pepper, some broccoli, asparagus...a few others. I bought some Kashi the other day without checking it out on here first. Its sorta high but I thought maybe once a month or something, or maybe 1/2 a serving size with 2 or 3 eggs would be fine. Ill get some of the All Bran. Does it taste any good?
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 06:49
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

hi there el,

From the Thyroid information site which I gave you the link the other day .. here's a list of what the dr. will look for, and tests that might be done ... Hyerthyroidism tests.

Unless there's reason to suspect that you have a blood sugar problem, it's unlikley you'll have to have a glucose tolerance test or drink any kind of sugary solution.

Hyperthyroid conditions can sometimes be just temporary due to an inflammation of the thyroid gland, but best to get it treated early since it can swing over to being hypO if you let it go.

Keep us posted how it goes

Doreen
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 09:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 144/140/125 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

The most important thing for you is to try and get your problems fixed! This should come ahead of any diet! If they make you drink sugar water, you need to do it, and you should tell them you are doing atkins! I have been having intestinally/nausea problems, and made a point to tell my gasteroenterologist. I think it isn't fair to the doctor if you don't let hime know everything! How is he supposed to fix you if he doesn't know everything? The #1 thing you need to focus on is getting well!