Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 06:21

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Smile Ketostix and when a "cheat" shows up.

If you eat something carby or over your CCL, how soon does it show on the ketostix (negative)? Seems that despite going over my CCL or eating something not-on-plan I don't lose ketosis (and not only stix but my symptoms) and no, I am not dehydrated...I actually upped my water since taking my Allergy meds recently.

I suppose I should be lucky...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 06:34

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

Same thing happend with me. I think unless you go WAY over your limit your body will stay in ketosis. Anyway, that's been my experience. I was only out for one day - in the last three weeks. That was the only time I went a good bit out of range (2 small margaritas and 1.5 Red Stripe beers, plus extra grilled veggies). I showed out of ketosis the next morning but by late that evening I was back in.

Jinx
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 06:40
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/205/135
BF:
Progress: 13%
My husband is bad for getting in a cheat here and there. The first time, the strips showed negative the very day...that afternoon. He has also cheated twice since then and never went out of ketosis on those two days, and he is still loosing weight, faster than me and I have never cheated.

He is in his second week and has already lost 20lbs....which I really dont understand how he is loosing so fast...especially when he has cheated already 3 times in induction....but he is very active at work. Seems to work for him...of course if he hadn't cheated, possibly he would have even lost more weight. He did really good on the first week no cheating. But this second...I am afraid he will cheat more, because he is still loosing, so I am trying to keep an eye on his weight, and I do watch what he eats at breakfast and dinner, its his lunch at work, I dont have much say in. Most of his cheating just consisted of bread. So maybe thats not to bad?

Two weeks ago his MD said he was in early stages of Diabetes, that was his main reason for agreeing to do this diet with me. We were hoping to bring down his Glucose levels... ...I guess thats why I am more worried about him cheating.

I don't suggest cheating to anyone...I myself, I am afraid if I eat anything that I am not suppose to, I will jump out of Ketosis.

Good luck to everyone, may your days be filled with PURPLE!

~Shoshana

#4   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 07:45

Stats: 144/140/125 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

See, with me I go in and out of ketosis. Sometimes I can 'cheat" (mostly meaning I went out drinking the night before-no carbs though) and be fine, but other times I have been really good and no color. Mine are usually really light though. I think I still suffer from hidden carbs and forgeting to write stuff I eat down! I am a pretty bad example of this WOE, my weight fluctuates greatly and I still have not figured out this whole ketosis thing. I prob. need to cut back on the cheese!!!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 07:49

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Oh don't get me wrong - I don't recommend cheating or going overboard either but IF it happens its good to know that as long as you don't go way over. But I will say one thing...if I eat something like heavy-sugar carbs (i.e. non SF candy) it knocks me right out...but things like rice, potato, yogurt, pizza...does not. And so I truly believe that not all carbs are created equal and a carb is not a carb...there are differences.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 07:57
Registered Member

Stats: 215/205/135
BF:
Progress: 13%
I guess there are some people who can handle higher carbs than others. I know my sister said she treated her self to a few cheats once in a while during her four months and she still lost and was able to get to her goal. She said mostly, breads and potatos.

~Shoshana