Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 13:32

Plan: My own plan!
Stats: 176/163/135 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default I gained 25 lbs in 2 months!

I went off of Atkins in September after getting down to 135 and losing several inches. This happened due to a lot of personal problems. In the last 2 weeks, I can't seem to get focused to start a clean induction. I have tried and I fail. I don't even have the desire to work out because people at the gym will wonder how I gained so much so fast. It's embarassing! When I went back to a regular menu of carbs and junk I gained 25 lbs in 2 months! I have literally blown up!

I am so discouraged and I'm afraid that Atkins will not work again for me. Have I missed my one golden Induction moment? If I can grasp this and get through a 2 week clean induction I made a promise to myself to stay with Atkins for life.

I need help!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 13:41
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

Wow, what a scary thought that you could gain 25 pounds in two months! Hopefully a lot of it is water! Never having gone off plan yet I don't know about missing the golden induction monent. I hear that each time you leave and then come back it is a bit harder. I would hope that there would be different factors in that, such as age.

Guess it doens't matter, even if it dose not come off as fast as it did before it will still come off. Each day you put if off, could bring worst results. So welcome back, and relax. Not to much you can do about what you already put on, but each day can bring you a little bit closer to where you were.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 13:51
~version 2.0~

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/173/145 Female 62 inches
BF:YES.

hey hun... at least you made it back... I think you need to use that embarassment you feel about going to the gym to your advantage... think about that every time you want to get off plan... and you should be able to easily make it thru induction again...
I know that is what i would do as motivation... just think.. I will lose all this weight again... and then nobody can say anything....
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 13:55
Registered Member

Stats: 130/126/~115 Female 63 & 1/4 inches
BF:22%/20%
Progress:

First of all, stop beating yourself up! Stop it RIGHT NOW!!!!! You have come to you senses, you are trying to get back on track, and now you back here and asking for help before the situation gets even more out of hand. Pat yourself on the back for that!
Secondly, remember that you can start... today.... all over again. I don't know whether or not the second time will be 'harder' fo you, but remember that you have been off Atkins for only one month... many people here are on their second or third time after being off the diet for a year or more. Some of them are losing a bit more slowly, but you know what? For the most part, they are all still losing. The sooner you start back into the game, the easier it will be to stay, I think. And remember that we are on a spectrum, and there are some people here who would KILL to be at your weight right now. Most likely you have been feeling slightly guilty, but tere is absolutely no reason to feel embarrassed. Now, giving up entirely and heading back to the gym at 200 lbs. instead of 160.... THAT would be embarrassing. You might even consider exercising at a different gym or joining a class for awhile, and the people at YOUR gym will never even need to know that you slipped up. Atkins is a plan FOR LIFE, and you know that you can do this again. You have done it before, and there are lots of people around you to give you support.

And, on a more personal note .... Have you even considered that you came and asked this question on HALLOWEEN... SAMHAIN.... the ancient celebration of the end of the yearly cycle, trimming away the unnecessary, and the beginning of brand, new things? Now, how does that grab you as a little piece of inspiration?

Last edited by watersidhe : Fri, Oct-31-03 at 14:03.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 13:57

Plan: atkins
Stats: 232/230/175 Female 5-7
BF:unsure
Progress: 4%

Goodness Grief.. may i ask what were you eating to have gained 25lbs? Carb after carb? Please tell so i can avoid this trap.. what exactly happd? I am so sorry. Get back into it.. please! And stay. It will work just maybe a little bit slower. Good luck. (dont forget to tell me.. what happ'd)
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 14:03

Plan: My own plan!
Stats: 176/163/135 Female 5'9
BF:

Thank you everybody for all of the support! I wasn't going to go to they gym today but after reading the posts I am going and tomorrow morning is Day of Induction for me!

To answer your question for a while I stayed on eating Atkins food just huge portions. (emotional eating) A few weeks ago I through in the towel and had pizza, birthday cake, cookies you name it I ate it! Everything that I wouldn't be caught dead eating a few months ago-I ate! I know have the skin tight pants to prove it!

I am starting new and I will get this weight off and hopefully by 12/23 (my birthday) I figure I can take it off as fast as I put in on? (2 months or so)
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 14:06

Stats: 196/178/138 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 31%

I lost about 10 pounds in my first induction. 6.5 in my second, having a baby inbetween. So I don't really buy that your body is only capable of doing Atkins once. I think you should really give it a shot and see what happens. Good Luck!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 14:19
"Princess" of Norway

Plan: Atkins / Lindberg
Stats: 187/169/143 Female 162 cm
BF:Yes
Progress: 41%
Thumbs up You can do it !!!!

I know how it feels to gain 25 lbs in 2 months. It's not spooky it's just pure hell ! I've done it three times. First time -childbirth (OK it took a bit longer than two months), second time (one month and a half - 30lbs) - hormones, third time (2 months - 20 lbs) - stopped smoking. I did Atkins all three times. First time 1980, second time 1990, both times Atkins ooold book. Stickt diet 8 carbs first week etc. Lost all the gained weight both times (but gaines some back on), did not make it a WOE because it was so strickt......This third time.....bought new edition 2002 DANDR, so much easier to follow, not so easy to lose. But I will make this a WOE. Had an 8 week stall. Read alot about stallbreaking and how's and why's ....found out about the so called "golden moment" - aha...I've already had two....so can I do it the third time ???

YES I CAN - AND YOU CAN DO IT TO - it might take a bit longer, than last time, but you will lose ! Just hang in there and don't give up. Use the forum for all it's worth. There is so much support and encouragement to find here. There is always someone there to cheer you along !'

GOOD LUCK TO YOU !
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 14:24
Registered Member

Stats: 130/126/~115 Female 63 & 1/4 inches
BF:22%/20%
Progress:

I think you can do it, hcomeau! Especially if you are dilligent about working out at the gym again.... and maybe you might even stretch induction a little beyond the two weeks?

But, regardless... You will be LCing/ exercising again & your birthday is so close to Christmas, Hanukkah, and New Year's Eve? My gosh, think of all the cute clothes you can wear! You can do this!

Last edited by watersidhe : Fri, Oct-31-03 at 14:29.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 14:57

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 180/174/142 Female 65.5 inches
BF:32.5%/30.2%/20%
Progress: 16%

hcomeau,
I know how you feel. I've had something similar happen to me, but mine scared me quite a bit. I'd lost ten pounds going eleven since starting Atkins. I went away for the night to go to a meeting the next morning. I wasn't prepared enough, and had basically a carb fest. I rationalized and ate things I wouldn't have touched before Atkins. From that one day less then 24 hours I gained 10 pounds. And I honetsly don't think it's water weight. Over the past month I haven't lost much of anything. I've been denying the physical problem I do have. So I've been eating legal foods (like lc bars, ect.), but in quantities that are uncalled for. I've also ignored my personal food intolerences, causing my body not to run very well. I got serious monday. I'm feeling better. I know I have emotional issues to work on especially with food in social situations. But I'm working on it a little bit at a time. And I'm trying to distinguish the diffence between staying on plan and being a "food Nazi".
You can do this. It may come off slowly, but the longer the journey the greater the reward! And if you ever need encouragement pop into my journal, or pm me. I'll do my best to give you all the support I can give you. And remember you not alone. There are many many people here that struggle daily with staying with it. Just come looking for support, it's here to be found.
~CindyLynn~
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 15:11

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
I am starting new and I will get this weight off and hopefully by 12/23 (my birthday) I figure I can take it off as fast as I put in on? (2 months or so)

Congratulations on getting back on board again! However...I'd hate to see you wind up disappointed and quit again because of unrealistic expectations and expecting to lose the weight as fast as you gained it isn't realistic. I truly wish it worked that way, but it really doesn't.
As far as your "one golden shot", I don't buy that. It will probably be slower this time than it was before, but it's not impossible to lose the weight again. Stick with it, be patient and keep on going. After all, if this is going to be a WOL from now on, does it really matter how fast you get to goal as long as you get there?
BTW...your birthday is the day after mine. Looks like we were both almost Christmas presents!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 15:58
Registered Member

Stats: 165/149.2/140 Female 5 feet 6.5 inches
BF:

I am new to this WOE...doesn't it scare you that people gain back all, if not more, when they eat carbs again? It seems to me that a lot of people have trouble eating like this forever. Am I wrong? (which I hope I am!) I am always thinking, in the back of my mind, isn't it smarter to do something that we can live with forever? Please, don't take offense anyone, I am trying my best to get rid of the WW's mentality! (a few years back I was successful with WW)
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 16:31

Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpah1
I am new to this WOE...doesn't it scare you that people gain back all, if not more, when they eat carbs again? It seems to me that a lot of people have trouble eating like this forever. Am I wrong? (which I hope I am!) I am always thinking, in the back of my mind, isn't it smarter to do something that we can live with forever? Please, don't take offense anyone, I am trying my best to get rid of the WW's mentality! (a few years back I was successful with WW)

Atkins is just like any other diet in that if you quit doing it, you are going to gain the weight back. This will apply to WW too and I am living proof of that. It is all about making a life style change not just doing a diet for a quick fix and then back to old ways. I know that is a lot easier said than done but for me, low carbing is something I CAN live with. I know I will have things that aren't allowed occassionaly but I hope I can get the weight off this time and keep it off by doing what I'm suppose to most of the time. Honestly though, this may not be for everyone so if you don't think you can make it a lifestyle then please try to find a diet that you can do this with. Please don't think I'm being critical. I have gained and lost 2 or 3 people in my lifetime so I'm just trying to offer some sound advice here.

I do think you can redo Atkins though and be successful...it just may not be as fast. Good luck to everyone! WE CAN DO IT!!!!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 16:43
Registered Member

Stats: 165/149.2/140 Female 5 feet 6.5 inches
BF:

Lori H...I don't think for one minute that you are being critical! I appreciate your comments. I think that you are right though. I need to find something that I can live with, whether it is WW's or Lo-Carb.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 16:56

Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

I'm glad it didn't come off wrong...sometimes posted items can take on a different tone than was intended. I had a lot of success with WW...lost 50 pounds but I was hungry all time and finally went back to eating and gained it all back and more. Nobody's fault but my own and that was at least 10 years ago so I don't know what their plan is like now. I love Atkins because I can eat allowed foods until I'm not hungry. Which means that a lot of days I take in more than 2000 calories and still lose! It still amazes me because I was one of those low calorie dieters before. As I said though, everyone has to do what works for THEM. As successful as I've been and as much as low-carbing agrees with me I know there are people that it isn't right for. I hope you find YOUR lifestyle, works great for me, perfect diet soon. Best wishes!