Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-27-03, 10:39

Plan: South Beach, Anti-Candida
Stats: 103/103/110 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default energy low - muscle fatigue since beginning low carb eating

Hi All,
Since going lowcarb (about a week ago), I'm experiencing early muscle fatigue when exercising and some breathlessness. I take supplemental potassium, magnesium and calcium. I drink my water. I get my rest. I'm eating about 30 g. of carbs a day.

Any ideas why the fatigue is so intense? Other people go through this?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-27-03, 12:39

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 230/214/140 Female 5 Feet 0 Inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

Yes that is one of the effects of carb withdrawl, I had it terribly....I could barely lift my arms to wash my hair. It will disappear, just keep with it
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Dec-27-03, 12:45

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Moving to maintenance?

Yes, many people feel fatigue during induction or even a little longer. But you will see improvement soon...

According your stats, you are already at your goal weight. For maintenance there is no need to lower your carbs to 30. Check the maintenance sections in Protein Power or Atkins books.

Last edited by Galadriell : Sat, Dec-27-03 at 12:46.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-28-03, 05:14

Plan: atkins
Stats: 225/173/180 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%
Talking me toooooooo

week three i started feeling weak, i m wondering if i should increses my carb intake. what and when?????? my intake is under 20 carbs a day

Last edited by idontno : Sun, Dec-28-03 at 05:16.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Dec-28-03, 08:08

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

How much potassium are you taking? I find that when I'm at Induction levels, I need to take 2 tablets in the morning and 2 at night. According to Dr. Michael Eades and Dr. Mary Dan Eades (authors of Protein Power), it's virtually impossible to take too much potassium (assuming you're healthy and not on any blood pressure meds, etc.).

They recommend 2 in the am and 2 in the pm to start. Later on, I can back off and even stop taking it, but when I'm down in the 20-carb level I have to take it. Without it, I'm weak and have leg cramps.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-28-03, 09:07

BF:

In terms of potassium, do you find that you need to take it with other mineral supplements (i.e. magnesium or calcium salts)?

#7   ^
Old Sun, Dec-28-03, 11:58

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I take just potassium. I've read that you should take equal amounts of magnesium and calcium. All three are good.

I typically follow the Protein Power plan, and they recommend loads of supplements. I gone whole hog (so to speak) and taken every supplement they recommend. Trouble is, I was taking about a dozen pills every morning and another dozen every night. Hard on the wallet, not to mention it would take me 20 minutes just to swallow them all!

The only supplement that I can really tell the difference with is potassium. But maybe that's just me. Some people swear by the multi-vitamin. It's probably a good thing. I've just never noticed any difference in how I feel or in weight loss or anything whether I take them or not. Of course, they could be doing good things for my body that I'm simply not aware of.

If you can afford it, take everything that makes you feel good about what you're doing. If you can't afford it all (or simply don't want to take so many pills), do what works for you. For me, it's potassium.

PS:

Last edited by BawdyWench : Sun, Dec-28-03 at 11:59.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Dec-28-03, 17:54

BF:

Thanks much for the help. I'll go back and review the Protein Plan literature regarding nutritional supplements. I'm not very good (i.e. compliant) when it comes to taking things in pill form. But perhaps this lifestyle will inspire me to be more actively engaged in taking good care of myself - including taking vitamins. For now, the potassium is non-negotiable. I went hiking today and the only thing that made it possible was taking potassium with meals. It virtually has eliminated the feeling of heavy, crampy legs and shortness of breath that I was getting before.

Cheers,