Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 10:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 192/180/150
BF:
Progress: 29%
Unhappy Atkins/Hypothyroidism & PCOS

Hello...

I have recently started the Atkins diet and have lost 12 pounds in one week. I only have aobut 40 to lose, so I was very surprised to lose so much in the first week. I have been feeling sick the past few days, Nautious, diarhhea constantly, tired, and weak. I started to wonder if the low carb diet was effecting one of my disorders in a negetive way. I have not had any doctors tell me anything about diet do's and dont's (I have been to three doctors, but they all just say "There's not much you can do, take these pills). I have been on birth control pills for the PCOS and 100MCG of levoxyl for the hypothyroidism... Before I found out I was sick, I gained about 50 pounds and I was already about 30 overweight... so it has not been fun. I only have about 30-35 left to lose and I had done Atkins before and lost weight fast... so what better choice.

I just read an article on here, though, that talks about insulin resistance... I have NEVER been told anything about that and it is frustrating to me... my doctors seem so ignorant sometimes. I want to do what is healthy and the article i read said that I could possibly not even have to take the meds if I lower my insulin (which I don't know how) and work out more... I hate pills, so I'd like to know if that has been true for anyone with PCOS.

I would really like to be healthy... I bought a treadmill and have been going on it almost regularly... I will go on it more regularly if it will make the PCOS go away.

I guess I've said enough... I'm going to be getting married soon and I'm so frustrated with my weight and the extra hair I have grown over the recent years. UGH

Any advice or experience with these things?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 20:49
Don't Call Me Sugar

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%
Thumbs up Wow!

12 in one week! Some of that was water - hypothyroidism causes water retention. Bet your ankles are looking less puffy now.

I have PCOS and hypothyroid as well. At least I'm not the only one, heh.

I think you'll find low-carbing is an excellent approach for your wellness. It won't cure your PCOS but weight loss will help a lot. And there are some medications that help - metformin helps the insulin issues and period regulation, some birth control pills will help with excess hair, etc.

Exercise will help with the weight and with the insulin sensitivity. You're on the right track for sure!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 21:00
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

The sickness and diarrhea are probably just your body adjusting to low carb again. It should pass in a few days.

I think you will find (as you once did!) that lcing is so good for hypos. We don't process carbs normally anyway. I am much less swelled on a daily basis now. My foot is almost normal size.

One sign of insulin resistance, according to Atkins, is that most of the weight you gain is in your abdomen. I found that almost all of the 40 pounds I had gained by being hypothyroid was in my stomach and hips. Losing most of the weight has really reduced the size of my abdominal area.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-14-03, 17:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's - Induction (Since 6-12-03)
Stats: 225/222/135
BF:41.1/40.6/24.7 BMI
Progress: 3%

I was just diagnosed with Hypothyroidism, and I have to get an ultrasound on Monday to see about PCOS. I know I'm not insulin resistant, because my endocrinologist checked with all of the blood work I got done. Seeing as how you lost 12 lbs. in one week, I am guessing you probably aren't insulin resistant. That's definitely a good thing - the weight will come off easier for you, compared to someone who is insulin resistant. If you're really concerned with these things, make an appointment with your doctor to discuss it all.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 18:35

Plan: Atkins/low carb mix
Stats: 206/184/130 Female 5'5"
BF:Size 12
Progress: 29%

Maybe the doctor didn't inform you on insulin resistance because you did not have it? PCOS is determined through a battery of tests which also would likely show up insulin resistance. Insulin resistance is not experienced by everyong with PCOS.