Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-01, 15:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/193/140
BF:
Progress: 56%
Question Scale Question

Ok. I admit it.. I'm a daily weigher.. actually a few times a day even. But my question is this.. What type of scale is more "accurate" I have a digital scale here at home.. I bought it when I started low carbing about 2 months ago. So its new.. its not a great model was just a cheap one I picked up at wal-mart. It shows the weight by the half pound... Ok.. I have weighed myself on that scale every day and it hasn't moved all week which is ok, I accept that.. It has been stuck at 220 for about 8 days now BUT... there is a scale at work in the "weight room" that we have there.. its one of those doctor office types with the little sliding things at the top of it. Well I weigh myself on this scale at work once a day when I get there first thing in the morning.. Well I have seen a steady decline since I started weighing myself at work this past monday. By that scale.. I am down quite a bit. over 3 lbs since monday and that scale today said 215.5 (Monday when I first tried this scale I was almost at 219) I'm confused. Why would one at work go down but the one at home show the same thing.. Which one would be more accurate?? LOL I guess thats what I get for weighing myself everyday
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-01, 15:45
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

It might be the time of day that your weighing yourself, if your weighing yourself at night, you will have a buildup of fluids that you have consumed during the day. I say, pick a scale and a consistant time of day to weigh and stick to it. I weigh myself every morning after going to the bathroom and before drinking everything, naked, before I get into the shower. I try not to get upset if it goes up a pound or two, it fluctuates anyways, and only write down my weight on the calender, one day a week, that's the one that counts for me. I used to use Monday, because I would remind myself not to go overboard on the weekend because I would write down my weight on Monday. But now, since weight loss is much slower, I only write down when I have lost an additional pound. I got to make a note last week! I'm just trying to be patient now until I get to make the next mark.

Elihnig (the scale jumper! *down* *down scale!*)
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-01, 15:54
Registered Member

Stats: 260/193/140
BF:
Progress: 56%

Well thats the thing that has confused me.. There has only been about hour and half diffrence.. Weight at home when I get up about 7 says 220 (sometimes 220.5) for the last 8 days... Get to work at 8:30 hang up my coat in the locker room hope on the scale and it has gone down a little bit every day that I weighed myself this week.. to where it was over 3 lbs in the last 5 days.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-01, 17:26
Registered Member

Stats: 298/247.5/185 Male 6 ft 1 in
BF:36%/23%/12%
Progress: 45%

Candi, I too weigh myself many times a day. I find that my weight goes up and down around 5-7 lbs during the course of the day. I think it's the food and water that I eat. I get my lowest weight first thing in the morning. I would guess to say that your scale is not broken but maybe a little inaccurate. Try bringing your scale with you one day and compare it to the other one.

Dave
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-01, 17:48

Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

You know what. I had a digital scale, and I got an older one (not digital) from a Client who didn't want it. Its much better then the digital one I had.....go figure, anything made years ago seems to be much better...LOL

I weight, if I remember, once a week and in the morning....naked...LOL
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-01, 20:02

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%

Some scales that tend to get used by a lot of different people and moved around a lot can be inaccurate. We had a scale at my gym and because so many people used it and it got moved around when they were cleaning, it got off-balance (it was one of the scales that you'd find in a doctor's office) and was very inaccurate. I stay away from scales that lots of people use. I actually like to take measurements instead of weighing myself.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Oct-13-01, 13:35

Stats: 207/201/165
BF:32%/32%/25%
Progress: 14%

I also have a digital scale that weighs by the half pound. I weigh myself in the morning only, since I got frustrated checking several times a day.

Sometimes, it makes a difference if I move the scale from one surface to another. Even my hardwood floor isn't exactly level, so I do better if I keep it on the bathroom tile floor.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Oct-13-01, 13:49
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I have a question...

Why do you - the generic you - let a scale and the numbers on it have such power over you? Use it as an objective tool only. You are the one in charge of your well being, not the scale.

We're all so multi-dimensional and there are so many other ways to gauge "success".

Karen
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Oct-13-01, 18:34

Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Why do you - the generic you - let a scale and the numbers on it have such power over you? Use it as an objective tool only. You are the one in charge of your well being, not the scale.

Couldn't have said it better

So true, let it go girls. Just go with the flow, learn and enjoy the loss that comes with this woe