Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 15:09

Plan: Vegetarian Low GI
Stats: 188/179.8/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Protien Bars and Shakes on Induction - allowed?

Hello all,

Just had a quick question - does anyone know if Atkins bars or shakes (or any other LC treat) are allowed during induction? I couldn't find any info in the Atkins book on this.

Tam
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 15:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins HIGHLY Modified
Stats: 247/195/135
BF:
Progress: 46%

The only things allowed on induction are listed in Atkins book. I don't see any Atkins products on the induction list. Further Atkins bars, at least, have hidden carbs so that 2 carb bar may actually act more like 20 carbs in your system. The bars have stalled weight loss for many folks.
YMMV
Jo
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 17:26

BF:

Thanks, Jo - I was actually trying to stay away from them because I know one of my pre-LC weaknesses was sweets (especially at night in front of the TV). That's one habit I want to kick.

Tam
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 23:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 315/315/200
BF:
Progress: 0%
Exclamation

Just wanted to say that you are allowed to have shakes and bars when you are in Induction please refer to page 95 rule#5 in DANDR as long as you stay below your 20 carbs/day!!! I have read some people have stalls with the bars. Personally if I feel for something sweet I will only take a few bites.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 06:50
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
please refer to page 95 rule#5 in DANDR as long as you stay below your 20 carbs/day

Hi;
I'm looking at my DR. Atkins' New Diet Revolution and page 95 refers to fallacies about ketosis. It's copyright 2002. What one is yours? He changed a bunch of stuff in this edition.

Of course it wouldn't suprise me if he did say his stuff was allowed, even though it might not be good for you, but I sure can't find it on the induction list in the 2002 edition.
Jo

Last edited by jo_ : Tue, Feb-05-02 at 07:00.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 08:11

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by mlovesj
please refer to page 95 rule#5 in DANDR as long as you stay below your 20 carbs/day

Unfortunately most of those bars have over 20g of real carbs in them (yes, even the Atkin's ones aren't 'kosher').

Nat
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 11:17

BF:
Default Thanks for the replies!

I've actually decided to try and look elsewhere for snacks (see separate post) only because I was a sugar addict prior to LCing and I don't want to get into the habit again.

Tam
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 12:42

Stats: 315/315/200
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi there,
I purchased this book in early 2000. I am looking at the Rules for Induction #5
I quote" Using a carb gram counter, one could find other combinations totaling less than 20 gms. of carb. One would use foods like nuts, seeds, olives, avacados, cheeses, cream and sour cream, lemon and lime juices, and Atkins low-carb diet foods such as the Shake Mix, Bake Mix and Advantage Bars. Don't assume these foods are low, unless you absolutely know the carb content of the portion you are eating."

Has this now changed? When I was on Atkins before I did not use the Bake mix but had an occasional protein shake and a few bites of a bar a day and lost no problem. Is'nt the main thing that you just don't go over 20gms with the allowed items as long as it is not fruit, bread, grains, starchy veggies or high carb dairy?
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 13:58

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

MlovesJ, the point is that those bars aren't really LC for most of us - the sugar alcohols and glycerine used to make them taste appealing are man made ingredients that can be perceived by your body as carbs and treated as such. They can get away with labeling them as 2.whatever grams of carbs now because of labelling laws - but this is expected to change. If they arent proteins and they arent fats then they have to be carbs - and if you're among the majority your body will see them as such and produce the necessary insulin to deal with them.

Nat
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 14:01

Plan: atkins
Stats: 362/349/255
BF:
Progress: 12%

thry the whip cream and sugar free jello , and then THINK SUMMER 2002 ....!!!!!!!!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 14:28
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Is'nt the main thing that you just don't go over 20gms

Actually the main thing isn't technical adherence. The main thing is an alteration in our eating/thinking patterns that leads us to a healthy lifestyle. Not a diet mentality which everyone leaves, or falls off of, but a change in our relationship to food that we maintain forever.

The more we eat mimic foods, foods that artificially represent those from our past, like baking mix, artificial sweeteners, low carb candy bars etc..., the less we are breaking away. It's like a heroin addict doing methadone. He's substituting one drug for another. He's still an addict. The only way to break the addiction is to give up those foods that are poison to us.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Apr-20-02, 19:19
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 311/272/200
BF:
Progress: 35%

Rats, I wish I had read this post about a week ago.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-02, 14:18

Plan: low carb
Stats: 136.6/129.4/119 Female 4 11
BF:
Progress: 41%

It seems that because there are so many hidden carbs in the low carb bars, that if we want to have a bar once in a while,

it seems that we may be better off eating the higher protein bars with an average amount of carbs such as Luna and Balance. Am i correct? at least we know what we are eating and i have heard they taste really good
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 12:51

Stats: 222/209/150 Female 5' 6.5"
BF:39%/34.6%/24%
Progress: 18%

As for protein shakes, it is better to make your own with protien powder you buy at the store. That way you know exactly what is in them. They are my breakfast staple (I use 1/3 cup cream and 2/3 cup water instead of milk, and count the carbs of course).

-Shelly