Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 15:00

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 165/152/135
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default Low carb gatorade?

Hi everyone,

This may have already been answered but I was too overwhelmed to search through the previous posts, there's just too many.

I enjoy biking very long distances, and when I was carbing I was able to drink Gatorade (or its relatives) to prevent hyponutremia (sp?). But due to lack of carbs in my diet I don't want those anymore, is there a low carb alternative? I have tried the Atkin's shakes, but I don't think that they have enough salt for this need. Or alternatively does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can satisfy these needs through low carb food.

I would really appreciate help with this, hyponutremia is very serious and should not be taken lightly so I need to resolve this before I start biking over 50 miles!

Thanks for your help!

Lisa
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 11:31
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/180/165
BF:
Progress: 25%

Any drugstore will have cheap electrolyte tablets: a mix of sodium and potassium. They're both needed by the body. Sodium is needed in the blood and potassium is needed in the cells. So drink water and keep the pills where you can take one hourly.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 10:42
Registered Member

Plan: Healthpointe Lean for Life
Stats: 193/165.5/128 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 42%

There is a carb-free energy drink I buy through Quixtar that is full of B-Vitamins, called XS energy drink. I don't know how it is with electrolytes but I really like to drink it before my long-distance runs (60 min +) for energy and endurance. If I see anything similar in a store I'll let you know (has anyone else seen it?), but the only place I've found it so far is online...
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 07:32

Plan: General Low-Carb
Stats: 225/181/175 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 88%

I love XS! The parent of one of my preschool students markets it. So I buy it through her. The only problems are that a) it has caffeine, and b) it was $25 for a pack of 12, which is a little pricey for me.

I just drink it when I really need a pick-me-up.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 15:57

Plan: MyLCWOL
Stats: 485/366/210 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

My favorite is Propell. 1 gr Carb

Regards,
Lux