Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 08:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240.2/227.4/164 Female 69 inches
BF:mini goal 225
Progress: 17%
Default Question on sugar free gum

I bought some sugar free gum. It says serving size is 1 stick and 1 stick=2 carbs.
But it also has 2 sugar alcohols. Do i count this as 2 carbs or does the sugar alcohols cancel it out?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 08:24

Plan: non strict Atkins - don't
Stats: 160/129/132 Female 63
BF:no idea
Progress: 111%

I don't know the answer but I break my piece in half at least. I don't "chew" gum, more use it to curb the urge to eat something bad.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 08:27
overeasy

Plan: No grains/sugar/alcohol
Stats: 221/175.4/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

I cancel out all sugar alcohols because they are not digested like regular sugar. I do not have a problem with the gum, but the LC candy with sugar alcohols definately mess up my tummy. (i.e. lots of gas, sometimes painful)
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 09:07

Stats: 170/???/135 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

I count all sugar alcohols. Unlike fiber, they body must deal with the carbs from sugar alcohols.

If I eat a LC chocolate bar with say 17 gm of carbs (most being sugar alcohols) I will get knocked out of ketosis for some time. During the time that is being burned, there is no fat burning going on for me.

So I decided early on to count every carb except fiber carbs.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 16:34

Plan: Atkins, PP
Stats: 188.4/188.4/132 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Gum allways confused me.

I chew a lot of chewing gum and I can't remember the last time I had one with sugar (hmm, anyone remember when Hubba Bubba first came out and there were competitions for the biggest bubble ). Now Gum is theoretically completly edible. It shows a lot of carbs (96g per 100g of Gum). How much of this is actually sugar/sugar alcohols and how much of this is actually the gum itself ?
As the gum doesn't get digested, I can count it as fibre. If one strip is 2g, how much of this is actually sugar alcohol ? must be somehwere in the region of 0.01g ??? So how many carbs do I actually count (assuming I count sugar alcohols) ?

I am not normally that obsessed. I don't count my chewing gum strips. But it has me confused since a long time.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 20:44

Stats: 240.2/227.4/164 Female 69 inches
BF:mini goal 225
Progress: 17%

I'm still confused, but if i get the boredom urge to eat, I think I can allow myself 2 carbs instead of messing up bigger than that...if i have to count them. I'll just try to cut down to a couple of sticks a day or so.