Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 02:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 163/152/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress:
Default I am sooo discouraged...help!!

I am 5'2" and looking to lose about 15-20 lbs. I am medium boned and exercise religiously 5 days a week (walking) for 45 min. I am 43 years old.

I started out in March, 2003 doing Atkins because I had heard about the success of people losing with this program that previously couldn't lose on any other program let alone stick to anything else long enough to lose. I did it for about 2 months, saw that I had only lost 2 lbs. and somersized for another 2 months having lost no more weight. In June I decided to go back to Atkins, thinking that maybe even that one meal of carbs was probably too much for my body and decided to cut the carbs down to as minimum as I could. I have been doing Atkins religiously, without cheating for 3 months and have not been able to lose any weight since June. I fluctuate with 2 lbs up and down. Other than that, no movement. I am extremely frustrated. Other friends of mine who have done either one of these programs have melted away and I cannot understand why this is not working for me.

I have yo yo dieted since I was a teen, having starved myself and done weight watchers once and succeeded and then tons of times afterwards and not succeeded.

I was on the pill up until July this past summer and have since stopped thinking maybe this was interfering. I have a problem with triglycerides and was on Lipitor and slowly was able to go off of it after being on Atkins. I take calcium and vitamin C and B12 every day as well as a multi-vitamin. I was diagnosed with a goiter but was told that my thyroid is functioning normally.

I also drink at least 2 1/2 liters of water a day.

I have just recently begun lifting weights as well.

Can Steve or anybody else give me some advise....I am frustrated to tears!!!

The following is a usual daily menu that I have been following:

Breakfast:

2 egg omelette w/ pepper and cheese, coffee w/ cream, flaxseed (to keep me regular)

Mid morning snack:

veggies with ranch dressing that I prepare at home and sometimes a hard boiled egg.

Lunch:

tossed salad, can of tuna w/oil, cheese, ranch dressing, a side of grilled veggies, a handful of almonds or walnuts

Mid afternoon snack:

decaf coffee with whipped cream that I prepare and if I'm hungry, I nuk some cheese

Dinner:

Some kind of meat, steamed veggie and salad with dressing that I prepare

*** I live overseas and cannot get a hold of all of the convenient Atkins mixes and foods to make eating more interesting so my menus are from scratch. I also keep kosher and cannot mix milk with meat at the same meal.

The only things that help me feel like this is not a diet and that I can live with this is to be able to have that whipped cream in my coffee and the nuts....these things have curbed my cravings and let me go on without feeling deprived.

I just don't know what else to do....can anyone help?

Thanks,

Wishful
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 05:11

Plan: My Own
Stats: 248.5/228.4/150 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 20%

One thing I see that you should not have on Induction are the nuts.

What veggies are you eating. Dr. Atkins book has a list of acceptable veggies and cheeses on the Induction part of this WOL.

Take a good look and reread the book and keep on hanging in there.

Windy
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 05:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/229/172 Male 5'11"
BF: Yes-VERY! %-)
Progress: 53%

Hi wishful--

Don't spend too much time worrying about the LC foods that are unavailable to you...many of the folks here will tell you that they can be a mixed blessing, at best. As for keeping Kosher, that hasn't been a problem for thousands of others who have done well with the Atkins program.

I sense that you are already suspicious that the nuts in your diet may be a problem. For the purpose of testing, I'd consider cutting them for a week and seeing if it makes a difference. In looking over your meals, I find myself wondering if you are using vegetables only from the "approved" Atkins list, wondering if you might be eating too much cheese and, finally, wondering if you are getting enough fat in your diet.

Remember, Atkins is a high fat/low carbohydrate program. Lean meats are not necessarily a great thing, although conventional nutritional wisdom will guide you toward that idea.

You may want to take the time to enter a week of your menu into fitday.com, so that the percentages and ratios in your diet are clearly revealed. At least that will make it easier for some of the expert members of this board to offer suggestions to speed you toward your goal.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 13:48
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

...and if you've started lifting weights, you're building lean muscle which weighs more than fat. Have you lost any inches?
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 16:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins (Modified)
Stats: 242/216/155 Female 5´7
BF:shrinking!!
Progress: 30%

Question?

What type of veggies are you eating?
There are many types of nuts..Which are you eating?
Eggs have carbs. Are you counting them?
change your RANCH salad dressing for one that has olive oil and vinegar or lemon.
Is the coffee Decaf?

You have lost 11 pounds! That is not bad at all considering that you are very close to your target weight.

Please answer my questions so I can help you more, and be able to find the problem.