Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 08:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 157/145/130
BF:
Progress: 44%
Unhappy Frustrated and (nearly) 40

Hello friends, With a big birthday approaching (aka 1/23), I feel frustrated with my appearance more than anything else in my life. How cliche. I suppose this is normal when one runs head on into "aging." I am completely undisciplined when it comes to food, but the thing is, food is really a bother to me and I do not eat a lot of it. I generally eat nutritious foods, although I rely on carbs for fast food through out the day (cereal bars, protein bars, etc). I will often go most of the day without eating, then I will sicken and tire, eat something quickly, and go to bed for an hour or so. I know this is poor behavior, but that's what I mean about being undisciplined. I most often feel irritated about having to eat. Thus, it surprises and depresses me to be twenty five pounds overweight. I have tried this low carb diet before with some success. I lost about twelve pounds a couple of years ago and I'm certain that I fell back into my old routine because I felt too bothered to have the right foods at my disposal. I am not sure how to keep up the discipline, even thought I know I feel better when I do cut out the carbs and sugar, plus, nothing else seems to work for me. Not starvation, not barely eating ... the body is a funny thing. My husband thinks mine a mysterious alien thing.

I never had to worry about weight until I hit 30. Interestingly enough, I had my first significant weight gain after I began taking anti-depressants. I cannot give up my medicine, but I cannot handle this weight. I am hopeful that the impetus of a looming birthday will enable me keep to something that will help me. Patty
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 08:55

Plan: BANTA
Stats: 152/146/128 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 25%
Smile

Hi Patty, Welcome to the forum!

I'm fairly new here to, but I certainly hear what you are saying!
I'm a little past 40 with 25 or so lbs to lose too, and was snacking on crackers and totillia chips and choc, because I couldn't be bothered to make proper meals, and when I did, they were very carb heavy! I was just so sick and tired of feeling fat and bloated and tired, even though my weight had stabilized over the last 3 years, I believe I still could lose more weight and feel a heck of a lot better!

A few days into low carb and the bloating was gone and the cravings are gone and I feel great. Though I know I cannot go as low as Atkins induction, (I tried before and felt weak and nauseaus), I have been experimenting with a few different plans. There is so much info and so many plans to research (along with a lot of support), on this site, so my advice to you is to find out what works for you and be patient and listen to your body.

Also, I look forward to making meals now, because there are so many things I haven't let myself have for years, like all the protien, cheeses etc. And I am eating a lot more salads and veg than before, so I don't feel like it's unhealthy.

Anyway, I hope you can find the inspiration to shop and prepare meals for yourself and do well and reach your goal.

JAYJOY
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 09:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 157/145/130
BF:
Progress: 44%
Wink thanks

Thanks for your encouraging reply, JayJoy. As I was browsing this nifty site this morning (then hearing "you've got mail"), I thought that if I spent some time here every day I might feel the connection and support I need to persevere with this thing. It does feel good to work and connect with others. I have to remind myself of that, because I am a serious INTROVERT and my modus operandi is ISOLATION and a good book. Yet, think how very happy I would be to reach my weight goal with your help! If you knew me, you would know how happy it would make me.

I am looking forward to reading more of the insightful and interesting things you all have to say to me! Thanks, Patty
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-03, 08:39
Registered Member

Plan: Im trying South Beach
Stats: 214/214/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Patty, maybe we can support each other...IM new here too and have been on the CAD for 8 days and I have lost 4 pounds.....(I just turned 40 back in July) and my husband and I are talking about having another baby....but....im determined to lose this extra weight this time !!!!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-03, 09:29
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%
Default Hi Patty!

Welcome to the forum!!

I definitely think you are on to something here... if you come for a daily visit and post in your journal, you'll be WAY hooked before you know it. I can't imagine where I'd be without my LC buddies here! Probably at Baskin Robbins! The giving and receiving of support is just awesome and really is THE answer to reaching your goals. In the end, of course, it is you who deserves all the credit.

Anti-depressants are notorious for causing weight gain, but it's not impossible to overcome that obstacle, it just requires a bit more patience. As a matter of fact, PATIENCE is our mantra around here....especially for us old hags over 40! But there comes a time a month or two or three down the road where you stop caring about how fast/slow the weight is coming off.... you just enjoy the way you now feel and can't dream of ever going back to the days of lethargy, bloating, headaches, and a myriad of other "disorders". This truly is a very healthy way of eating.

I was a lot like you about food....well, I always loved to eat, but never could be bothered to PLAN or COOK!! I ate 75% of my meals in the car!! What does that tell you? But really, I experience my best success when I plan ahead, experiment with new recipes to keep my enthusiasm high, and stay on plan. I am slowly changing bad habits into good ones, so it CAN be done!

Just hang with us for a while.... I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at what results!