Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Quick Meals & Snacks
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 09:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 207/201/165
BF:32%/32%/25%
Progress: 14%
Default Great Appetizer--Kolyenko (pork)!!

This is my all time favorite appetizer to make and serve. It is incredibly simple and makes a great presentation.

I got the original recipe from my former mother-in-law a couple of decades ago, who told me it was Hungarian in origin. My family, daughters, friends always request it for holidays, and because it is low (no) carb, I thought I'd share it here.

~ KOLYENKO ~

1 fresh picnic ham, bone in, fat and skin intact
Peppercorns
Bayleaves
Whole garlic cloves
Paprika

Pierce holes in ham with a sharp knife, and insert entire (peeled) cloves of garlic. Insert as many as you want, depending on how garlicky you like pork (I use a whole garlic, as we like the garlic taste.) You can do this in both the lean and fat areas, just be sure to insert cloves deeply. Sometimes I shove 2-3 into a deep hole.

Put the whole thing into a large pot. Cover with water. Add a few peppercorns and a bay leaf or two. Bring to a boil, then simmer until done. (I usually just test with a fork.) DON'T OVERCOOK!

Pour off liquid, and remove whole cooked ham onto a plate. Let cool until it is no longer too hot to handle. (The cooler it gets, the less likely it will fall apart or off the bone if you've overdone it a bit.) Pat dry with paper towel.

Cover entire surface thickly with paprika. Cover fat, bone ends, underside, leaving no part uncovered. Cover loosely with foil or saran wrap, and place into refrigerator. Keep refrigerated until pork is thoroughly cold. (I usually prepare it the night before I plan to serve it.)

To serve:

Place the whole thing on a cutting board or platter, and stick a steak knife into it The original idea calls for surrounding it with pumpernickel or rye cocktail breads. For low carb, cucumber, zucchini or other veggie slices would work well. (I would not use pork rinds or crackers for this.) Place Kolyenko on table. Guests will use the knife to slice a little piece of the cold pork, and place on the bread/veggie slice and eat. It is great, as it doesn't dry out, and guests end up usually going back all evening to cut another little slice. The paprika and garlic give the pork an incredible flavor, and the appearance is very interesting.

The last time I made Kolyenko (two weeks ago for my adult daughter's non-low-carb party, at her request), I placed it on a large turkey platter, with rye cocktail slices on one side, and pumpernickle cocktail slices on the other. On one end of the huge platter I put olives, and marinated mushrooms on the other. Stuck two knives into it and set it on the center of the table. All of my daughter's friends raved and commented on how nice it was to have something other than the usual taco dips, etc. I'll be making at least one more, if not two, for the Yule holidays.

This is my low-carb gift to you all for the holidays. Hope you enjoy!
Sponsored Links