Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-03, 10:19

Plan: Schwarzbien Newbie
Stats: 146/141/120
BF:shrinking
Progress: 19%
Default supplements for leaky gut

Okay, here is a list I gleaned from various sources. What I did was go to google.com and searched for "supplements to take for leaky guy syndrome", if any one wants to check my research.

Here goes:

1. L-Glutamine - possibly the most important supp to take. This will help to heal the intestines. I have read you can take up to 4 grams a day. I take 500mg capsule 3x a day, but I plan on increasing that.

2. MSM - contains sulfur which helps to protect the mucous membranes. Very important. I take an MSM supplement that contains molybdenum.

3. Probiotics - important to repair the intestinal flora

4. Gamma Oryzanol - derived from rice bran, helps to heal ulcers
I got mine from iherb.com

5. Essential Fatty Acids - fish oil, GLA. I read that GLA decreases intestinal permeability. Meaning, it patches all the holes.
Everyone should take fish oil, but it is especially important for people with leaky gut.

6. coconut milk - healing to the stomach. I take coconut oil, not the coconut milk, and have found it to be very soothing to the stomach. it contains important fat as well. I get Spectrum Naturals from Whole Foods. In the cooking oil section.

7. Digestive Enzymes - these are very necessary while the gut is healing.

I also read that leaky gut causes deficeincies in Vitamins B12, A, D, E and K. I am sure a good multivitamin would help, I also take a B-Complex, and am noticing a HUGE difference in energy and mood. My multi contains alot of B's, so I take it in the morning, and take the B complex late in the afternoon with a snack.

I take all of the above, and also am fighting the candida. I am starting to feel better than I have in years. I for one plan on staying on the low carb plan forever. I do not want to go through any of this again!!!

-Jess
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-03, 13:24

Plan: Organic
Stats: 167/1??/120 Female 69 inches
BF:29w/26w/24w
Progress: 57%

Thanks for the info Jess! I'm glad you're feeling good! I think i"ll start usin fish oil. DO you cook with it?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-03, 23:39

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 298/265/145
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default Thanks to Research Queen!

Yep Jess - you earn the title "Research Queen"!

So what do you know about coconut oil? I keep seeing lots of references to it (lots on thyroid section). There seems to be a significant difference in price ranges/types.

BTW - thanks for your encouraging post to my journal.

Let's keep getting better, and better, and better! (I'm not quite as desperately emotional tonight, thank goodness. )
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 10:52

Plan: Schwarzbien Newbie
Stats: 146/141/120
BF:shrinking
Progress: 19%
Thumbs up coconut oil/fish oil

First, Kaela, I take fish oil capsules, Carlson's brand is best. You could take the liquid fish oil, it is lemon flavored, I give it to my children. I wouldn't cook with it. Just swallowing it is bad enough!

Leigh, well, I have read alot about coconut oil, and decided to add it to my regimen. I first read about it in the thyroid forum, many people use it as a metabolism kickstart. As you know, low thyroid = low metabolism. It helps to raise body temps. The key is to get a natural, unprocessed oil. I get Spectrum Naturals, it is in a jar, and looks just like Crisco. It tastes and smells like coconut. I just eat it out of the jar. You can cook with it, too.

After more research, regarding Candida, I read that caprylic acid helps kill candida. Well, caprylic acid comes from coconuts. I have read in many many areas on the web, and in books, that candida can cause thyroid problems. My new theory is that the coconut oil helps the thyroid by helping to eradicate the candida. Of course, this is just another one of my hare-brained ideas, but either way, the coconut oil is good for you anyway, as it is a medium chained fatty acid,and is easily absorbed and utilized in the body. It is safe enough to be given to infants, and I believe it is included in most infant formulas. I have taken it for stomach aches, and it works in about 5 minutes.

Essential fatty acids are really important, and the coconut oil is just a pleasant way to add it, in my humble opinion. You can also melt it and apply it to rough elbows, or any skin area that needs moisturising. You will smell like you have been to the tropics!!

Have a great day, everyone!!

-Jess