Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 17:20

Plan: low carb
Stats: 263/254/130
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default Any snack ideas

I am doing fine on the diet now back but around 3pm - 6:00pm is the hardest part of the day. I crave something sweet any idea of what I should do? To stop the craving or what can I have instead of something loaded in sugar?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 19:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 316/273/180 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

I am gonna try sugar free jello...about lost my mind last night for something sweet so gotta go stock up on some jello soooooon. LOL
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 19:24

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:

Quite honestly, if you eat some protein when you have those sweet cravings, they will go away. So sliced meat, leftover chicken from the day before, pork rinds. Learn to ignore those sneaky thoughts that are your body's way of trying to get you to give it carbs again.

L-glutamine supplements help control cravings for sweets. Sugar free jello may work if you have tried the protein thing already.

Keep up the good work.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 19:58

Stats: 316/273/180 Female 68 inches
BF:

Thank you tofi! I really loathe pork rinds and pork in general. I am sticking with just beef and chicken. Shrimp, pork, etc. just grosses me out so my choices are more limited. I know the craving will go away for sweets but in the meantime I think I will try the sugar free jello. If it stops me from losing then I will cut it out of my diet. Right now I am just experimenting with an eating plan I can live with.
I do really like hard boiled eggs, I think I could have some ready to go cold for when I want a snack too...lots of possibilities.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 09:15

Plan: Atkins+BFL
Stats: 208/188.5/165 Male 5 ft 9.5 in
BF:27.5%
Progress: 45%
Default Put homemade Whipped Cream on Jello

Be sure to put homemade whipped cream with a little splenda mixed in on your Jello. It makes it seem more, well, decadent somehow.

You can also "melt" cream cheese in few seconds in the microwave. Mix in a little splenda and it goes well on jello too (but it's warm).
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 14:33

Stats: 166/155.5/135
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default Nuts rock!

I just finished my second week of induction, so now (according to Atkins) I'm "allowed" nuts. I think they're the perfect snack. An ounce of Brazil nuts only has 3 or so net carbs, but it takes care of my mid-afternoon munchies perfectly, very satisfying--(too early to see if they'll end up causing me to stall, but I''m keeping my fingers crossed.) Unlike sweet snacks, they don't seem to leave me wanting more.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 14:54
Montana MaMa

Plan: My own lc
Stats: ***/***/140 Female 5'7"
BF:***
Progress: 26%

I was really not a fan of pork rinds either, but I found out that, the best pork rinds are in the microwavable bags. its the Lowrys bacon curls. They taste so much better than the ones in the bags. Go out and get those and make cinnamon curls, you drizzle melted butter over them and sprinkle splenda and cinnamon on them. Now that I have found pork rinds that I actually like, I'm going to try that too. I read if they get soggy, put them in an oven and bake for a while.

Shannon
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 00:38

Stats: 155/144/125
BF:
Progress: 37%

It helps to remember that the "sugar cravings" are really just low blood sugar (hunger), which is best brought to normal by protein. I must admit to eating an Advantage bar when I get that feeling and am not able to eat a meal. It has 17 grams of protein and also that sweet taste. So instead of eating (like I used to) a cookie and then wanting 20 more cookies, I eat one bar and it keeps me going for a couple hours.

Yaelle
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 13:53

Plan: First Atkins, now South Beach
Stats: 165/160/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Quote:
Originally posted by shama
I was really not a fan of pork rinds either, but I found out that, the best pork rinds are in the microwavable bags. its the Lowrys bacon curls. They taste so much better than the ones in the bags. Go out and get those and make cinnamon curls, you drizzle melted butter over them and sprinkle splenda and cinnamon on them. Now that I have found pork rinds that I actually like, I'm going to try that too. I read if they get soggy, put them in an oven and bake for a while.

Shannon

Lowry's Bacon Curls? I have never seen these. I will have to look for them. Are they in the snack section (chips aisle??)
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 14:36

Stats: 190/190/165
BF:
Progress: 0%

Those Advantage bars are REALLY good. I had got done at the gym and wanted something fast, easy and sweet. I spotted the Cookies and Cream bars (and they were on sale) and snatched up 4. I ate two right then, saving the others for that next craving. Today is day 5 of induction for me, so they are getting less and less.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 10:10
Montana MaMa

Plan: My own lc
Stats: ***/***/140 Female 5'7"
BF:***
Progress: 26%

Hi Boom,

I believe that I got them by the snack section, and with the beef jerky. Hope you find them, they are really good. I had to have more yesterday with a garlic and onion dip. Happy searching!!

Shannon