Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-02, 18:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 198/188.6/150
BF:41
Progress: 20%
Default Jello/cool whip, shakes, bars, etc.. OK or NOT?

It is a little unclear to me whether Sugarfree Jello and cool whip is allowed during Induction - any thoughts on this?

I am also wondering if Aktins shakes are any good AND if they are allowed during Induction?

I think I understand the Atkins bars are not for Induction, unless anyone has other thoughts/comments about the bars?

Thanks for any input!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-02, 19:05

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

*IF* you can get through induction without them I would highly advise you do so.

Reason being is that induction is to "break" the carbohydrate addiction and our tastes for sweets. Your 20 grams of carbs should come from veggies, with a limited amount coming from other sources.

Spend your carbs wisely on healthy foods, not replacement junk.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 16:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203/138/130 Female 5'4 1/2
BF:
Progress: 89%

but if you must have them go right a head.. yes you are supposed to stear clear of these things yes.. but if you must then do..

you are not allowed cool whip though you can use cream whip it and add splenda. and you are allowed to have it on the atkins diet, he dose say you may have it.. it is just not advisable...

regards

vivian
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 17:59

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

You really don't want Cool Whip...nothing but transfats in that stuff and it's not even a real dairy product!
Real whipped cream is allowed, but only a few ounces a day on induction. Sugar free Jello has Aspartame in it which should be avoided when at all possible. On the other hand, Jolly Rancher does make a sugar free jello that is sweetened with Splenda instead of Aspartame (a much better choice). I have to agree with AgonyCat, though. If you can make it through induction without them, you will be better off, but if it's either that or something with real sugar in it, go for the low carb choice.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 21:13
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: ???/???/???
BF:
Progress: 0%
Lightbulb I agree..

Avoid if possible, however......I am starting the induction phase tomorrow. I done atkins about 2 years ago with excellent results, so I have a bit of experience. I went to stock up on my induction food, I purchased 2 boxes of sugarfree jello JUST IN CASE. I am setting myself for success with this one purchase by making sure if I get completely nuts with a sugar craving, after trying to stop it by eating protein (which should always be your first choice, often times a nice protein snack will stop the craving), then I at least have an option.