Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-28-04, 10:02

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 283/198/198 Male 78inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Long term LC and diabetic neuropathy?

Hello folks, this thread was recommended as a possibility for answering a question I have.

Has anyone noticed after say a few years of low carbing an impact one way or another on diabetic peripheral neuropathy (of any other type of diabetic neuropathy)?

Quick summary of my situation. 2 and 1/2 years ago diagnosed with T2 diabetes. A1c at 12.1, glucose at 400 in the office. Weight 283 (I'm six, six). Age 62.

Immediately to low carbs. NO medication of any type. (doctor thought I was crazy). Ten days later blood sugar normal (100). 12 weeks later all lipids near perfect and no damage to the body (so far as I know) except peripherial neuropathy in the feet. Numbness and no pain. Diagnosed as mild. A1c fallen to 5.1. Weight already down to about 250 by then.

So far so good for 2 and 1/2 years with low carbing. Weight steady at 197-8. (I weighed that when I was 18!) Running 15 to 20 miles a week. Feel great. Love my food too. No more than 30-40g a day and I run about a nine minute pace almost everyday. Evergy great. Body metabolizing fat beautifully. No craving for carbs at all.

But here is the issue. Still have the peripheral neuropathy. It is improved. But still there.

Has anyone experienced an impact of LC on such neuropathies one way or another? Or has anyone read anything from Dr. B or Atkins about the long term impact of LC on general health as well as specific conditions like the one I mentioned? Please understand I'm not talking about how to maintain the diet long term! I'm talking about the actual impact of LC on our bodies long term.

I am thinking that Dr. B or Atkins after all these years of observing such things would have some idea of how LC has impacted people with diabetes on a long term basis. Strange one never sees any data, even "anecdotal" pertaining to this. At least I haven't seen it. We already know that low carbs can handle blood sugar in a very short time for instance. I am the living proof of that. Surely they have such data as that for diabetics who have been low carbing for 5 to 10 years.

Would it not be interesting to know how LC helps a diabetic after say 5 or 10 years? Especially a diabetic who has never been medicated for diabetes but who has followed the LC way of life. What is the impact on specific things like lipids and such. Impact on disorders associated with diabetes.

Hope someone can lead me to some data.

Thanks, Brad
Sponsored Links