Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 08:44

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/126/120 Female 164
BF:
Progress: 82%
Thumbs up Only just discovered Nando's

Have just discovered Nando's restaurant chain..over the last couple of days. NOrmally would never try restaurant chains (even before LCing), but driven by hunger on my way home from work yesterday (and having two for one vouchers for 1/4 grilled chicken)..I decided to nip in. This place rocks! (sorry if you all have already discovered it).

Anyway..I had a quarter chicken (take away) and made my own veggies and it was really tasty. They also have a list of all the carb counts on all their meals, fantastic. Today I was tempted back and had their mediterranean chicken salad and it really blew my mind! Yeehah. Had the 'hot' version, with warm chicken strips on a bowl of lettuce, cucumber, pepper, red onion, olives and feta. They gave me dressing sachets, but I substituted with Paul newman's caeser salad dressing which is pretty low carb. Anyway the chicken salad is less than 6gs carb and v filling - Totally recommend this.

DH who normally wont eat take away/dine out chicken also agrees and he isnt LCing. He wants to change it to our favourite take away instead of the v.nice turkish place. Hmmm. The only draw back is it isn't the cheapest of takeaways but worth it for a treat!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 17:31

Plan: paleo
Stats: 145/145/114 Female 161
BF:
Progress: 0%

i love nando's it used to be my fave hangover food, but it's great for LC, and i buy their sauces from coles too...very good choice if you get stuck. i've found a store at most large shopping centres too!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 00:56

Plan: Atkins > SBD from 27Sep04
Stats: 291/279/190 Female 5ft 9
BF:
Progress: 12%

Yep, their Peri Peri sauce is fantastic. I use it stir fried with minced pork or chicken, some bean sprouts, corriander, grated cheese and wrapped in lettuce leaves and topped with sour cream for a great lunch. Be careful though, you don't need a lot.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 01:25

Plan: ex-atkins
Stats: 175/105/115 Female 5 ft 0
BF:
Progress: 117%

I have never ever heard of this place. I was so temporarily excited at the news - I mean, they actually have carb counts? And then, a quick dash to the white/yellow pages demonstrated that my 'stupid country town' (canberra) appears to not have heard of such a fast food chain. I am sad.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 16:38

Plan: My own
Stats: 183/173/160 Female 68 in
BF:33%/27%/22%
Progress: 43%
Smile

While on the subject of restaurant chains, I work in St Kilda road in Melbourne and have in the past found few good possibilities for a LC lunch - when I don't have time or inclination to bring a lunch from home. (I am known as the container queen at work!). It is difficult to find something other than a sandwich and some of the salads are just deplorable!
However late last year I found a gem called MYO - so wonderful for LC. They have all the makings for any type of salad you can imagine and all sorts of cold meats, eggs, condiments etc and you just put your own meal together in whatever size container you choose. Only issue is at $6-80 for a medium container it can get a little pricey but everything is very fresh and there is just so much choice. I think there is another of these chains in the city and from memory there may be one in Perth - will check when I go get lunch today and post the locations if anyone is interested.