Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-05, 13:34
Lobstergal

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Thinking SBD over...

Since Friday is my start date to begin SBD this has given me time to think things over as well as get my shopping list in order etc. My brain is very much stuck in *Atkins mode* at present just like it was stuck in low fat mode when I first began Atkins. I was doing Deal-A-Meal before I began Atkins. I guess it will take some time to get my head and my thoughts wrapped around SBD as I progress.

I think, because I have become so used to eating them, giving up poultry skin and regular bacon will be difficult. Cutting the fat from my meats will be difficult for me as well since I have been used to just eating it but as long as I buy them as lean as possible then I only have to deal with what the butcher has left on the meat. I keep thinking that maybe I should go out and get a dog so he/she can eat any fatty bits I will be tossing out.

The hardest thing will be giving up fruit for a time. Since I have been off Atkins I have been in serious fruit eating mode. I'm glad phase 1 is only 2 weeks long. Any longer then that and I will probably kill for an apple.

Speaking of apples, I had better go back and look and see what fruits we get to start enjoying in Phase 2. I never read that bit of the book yet.

Happy Easter Monday everyone.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-05, 15:31
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
I think, because I have become so used to eating them, giving up poultry skin and regular bacon will be difficult. Cutting the fat from my meats will be difficult for me as well since I have been used to just eating it but as long as I buy them as lean as possible then I only have to deal with what the butcher has left on the meat. I keep thinking that maybe I should go out and get a dog so he/she can eat any fatty bits I will be tossing out.

I only buy chicken and turkey breast cutlets. It comes without the skin, so if you do the same, it won't be there for you to have to push to the side.

Turkey Bacon is quite delicious.

Please...do not feed any dog pure fat as it does give them pancreatitis!!

You really do need to let go of all the stuff you learned on atkins. This is very different and IMHO...much better!!

Here's a good quote for you:
"This is a whole new path. You cannot use your old map on this new path and if you try you'll only end up lost in the woods. Get a new map!!"

Last edited by Judynyc : Mon, Mar-28-05 at 15:44.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-05, 19:53

Plan: low carb
Stats: 189/136/136 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Lobster,

can i ask you why you are switching over to SB from Atkins and

Judy why do you think it is better,

thanx
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-05, 20:01

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 235/220/180 Female 70.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Hi 'gal,
I'm interested to know why you're switching too.
Also, do you find it helps to set a start date a few days in advance?
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-05, 21:15
Attitude is a Choice

Please keep in mind that I haven't done atkins but have learned alot about it just from being here on this forum.

I like SBD because I don't have to count carbs!! I just follow the food lists and How To Adapt Your Meal PLan chart. I eat alot of veggies each day, some fruit and nuts, some whole grains and alot of fish, chicken& turkey breast and red meat about once a week! I have huge variety in my meals and I haven't stalled yet in 11 months. I have slowed down but figured out why and was able to make corrections to get back to loosing an average of 2 lbs a week!

Many people on atkins stay at induction levels of carbs and are afraid to move to OWL phase, which is phase II on SBD. Many stall because of this. I found out what it means to go into OWL phase and found that I'd have even more counting in that phase than before. Thats scary to me because I don't want to have to be a mathematician to be on a food plan. I'm sure that plenty of people have done this successfully but I know that I would fall apart with that much required tracking of everything I put into my mouth.

On a more personal note, I just don't like to eat saturated fat as a large percentage of my diet....
Does this make sense to you?
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-05, 22:05

Plan: Atkins now SB (trying)
Stats: 173/145.5/125 Female 5'2 (Still) lol
BF:
Progress: 57%

Its somewhat hard getting yr head wrapped around SBD...however, I truly believe that Atkins works....I got from 173 down to 145...however, I've stalled.

Now, on teh Atkins website I go to.....even those who are still on the Atkins are now trying to stick with Atkins except only eat to their BMI. This is where I think what caused by stall....eating more than I was burning on a constant basis.

This SBD....Low Carb and Low Fat...hopefully will be the key to breaking the stall by shaking things up a bit......a few new food items introduced...and changing some items I was using for teh Atkins.

Right now I'm SB...in week two...although my Easter binge didn't help....however...I'm back strict again!

Good Luck with the switch over....it IS different!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-05, 22:25
Lobstergal

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
I only buy chicken and turkey breast cutlets. It comes without the skin, so if you do the same, it won't be there for you to have to push to the side.

Turkey Bacon is quite delicious.

Please...do not feed any dog pure fat as it does give them pancreatitis!!

You really do need to let go of all the stuff you learned on atkins. This is very different and IMHO...much better!!

Here's a good quote for you:
"This is a whole new path. You cannot use your old map on this new path and if you try you'll only end up lost in the woods. Get a new map!!"

Hi Judy

I was thinking I will have to buy the chicken and turkey without the skin. I hate the higher cost just because they skinned it for you but the temptation of having it there will not be there.
I've tried turkey bacon before in my low fat days and found it very good.
We even have chicken bacon where I am.

I never knew that regarding dogs. I will remember that though.

Do you mind if I use that quote in my sig? I like it and it will help.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-05, 22:29
Lobstergal

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygirl
Lobster,

can i ask you why you are switching over to SB from Atkins and

I have a few reasons for switching....

I am tired of counting carbs and cannot see that as a lifetime thing for me.
I'm trying to get away from all the saturated fat on Atkins.
I'm tired of the negativity you get from others regarding the diet (Southbeach just seems to get a better reaction from ppl)
I want a way of eating that will help lower my cholestorol and help my heart
so I do not suffer another heart attack.
I dislike being in ketosis.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-05, 22:32
Lobstergal

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onherown37
Also, do you find it helps to set a start date a few days in advance?

Yes I am finding that, for me, it helps greatly. I am able to read more about it and get more information over the internet and get my shopping list in order AND able to rid my house of foods I do not wish in here when I start SBD.
Tomorrow I am heading to the library to see if they have the cookbook so I can look through it.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-05, 22:33
Lobstergal

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Sarah
Its somewhat hard getting yr head wrapped around SBD...however, I truly believe that Atkins works....I got from 173 down to 145...however, I've stalled.

Now, on teh Atkins website I go to.....even those who are still on the Atkins are now trying to stick with Atkins except only eat to their BMI. This is where I think what caused by stall....eating more than I was burning on a constant basis.

This SBD....Low Carb and Low Fat...hopefully will be the key to breaking the stall by shaking things up a bit......a few new food items introduced...and changing some items I was using for teh Atkins.

Right now I'm SB...in week two...although my Easter binge didn't help....however...I'm back strict again!

Good Luck with the switch over....it IS different!

Thanks. I do believe Atkins works as well. It sure did for me when I was on it but I have to consider my heart health now and I feel SBD will be better for me in the longterm.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-05, 22:35
Lobstergal

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Please keep in mind that I haven't done atkins but have learned alot about it just from being here on this forum.

I like SBD because I don't have to count carbs!! I just follow the food lists and How To Adapt Your Meal PLan chart. I eat alot of veggies each day, some fruit and nuts, some whole grains and alot of fish, chicken& turkey breast and red meat about once a week! I have huge variety in my meals and I haven't stalled yet in 11 months. I have slowed down but figured out why and was able to make corrections to get back to loosing an average of 2 lbs a week!

Many people on atkins stay at induction levels of carbs and are afraid to move to OWL phase, which is phase II on SBD. Many stall because of this. I found out what it means to go into OWL phase and found that I'd have even more counting in that phase than before. Thats scary to me because I don't want to have to be a mathematician to be on a food plan. I'm sure that plenty of people have done this successfully but I know that I would fall apart with that much required tracking of everything I put into my mouth.

On a more personal note, I just don't like to eat saturated fat as a large percentage of my diet....
Does this make sense to you?

Yes it makes a lot of sense to me and I feel much like you do on everything you have said.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-05, 22:59
Attitude is a Choice

Of course you can use that quote. It was written by someone in the Low Carb War Zone and she gave public permission to use it....I thought it's pretty cool!!

Here's another thought for you...When you start to think about the things you'll miss about Atkins, Thank your mind for sharing and then start to think about all the wonderful things you can have on SBD.

Also, there are tons of recipes for South Beach at mizfrogspad.com.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-05, 23:00

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/175/158 Female 5'10"
BF:I am 5'10" tall

Hi, I hope everything is going well for you.......

I read an article about water intake on the internet, and did you know if you lack water in your body, the first place it comes from is your brain? And it also says that your brain will shrink......this must be the reason for tiredness and weakness in people that do not drink enough water...ya think?

If this is true, this explains my fatigue and dizziness for years.......
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-05, 23:09
Lobstergal

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Here's another thought for you...When you start to think about the things you'll miss about Atkins, Thank your mind for sharing and then start to think about all the wonderful things you can have on SBD.

Yes, like a sugar free fudgesicle for dessert. YUM!!

I can sure wrap my mind around that.

I've been printing out recipes I think I will be using from Mz Frog's most of the day.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Mar-29-05, 07:47

Plan: Atkins now SB (trying)
Stats: 173/145.5/125 Female 5'2 (Still) lol
BF:

Well Ms Lobster....(lol)

Good luck with SB!!!!!
I made quiche cups last night! They turned out GREAT! Easy to make, portable and YUMMY!!! Which is the most important think!!

OMG!! I just LOVE to eat!!! LOL