Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 09:22

Plan: Atkins/my own
Stats: 138/134/120 Female 63inch
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default What to eat after workout?

Does anyone have any information on as to what you are supposed to eat after a workout. I usually workout with weights and do 30 min intense cardio 5 days a week. Is it important to have a carb after weights to replenish your glycogen stores, or is this not applicable on the Atkins diet? If not what should i be eating? I also take a glutamine supplement after every workout to help with muscle recovery, is this enough or do i need a high glycemic carb. Im averaging about 15-20 carbs a day . Also I understand that you can deduct the fiber from the total carb count to if i consume 25 grams of carbs and 10 is fiber , it would be counted as 15 net grams. Im new to this WOE so any information will be helpful. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 18:06

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Mari

Yes, you can deduct fiber from your total carb count to get an 'effective carb count' (effective meaning these are the carbs that will effect blood sugar levels).

Carbs post workout aren't always necessary - unless you're feeling very tired and weak. If you're not? Then keep LCing The Glutamine post workout is a fantastic idea, it will help with repair, pain and it will help keep cortisol at bay to a certain extent. BTW, cortisol overproduction is the prime reason for post workout high glycemic carbs. Insulin will squash cortisol and put you back into an anabolic state. Cortisol can be deadly to fat burning and muscle growth if it is allowed to run unchecked - this happens when you workout intensely for periods longer than approximately 60 minutes (or when you are very stressed).

If you stay LC then a good post workout meal would be something containing a fair dose of protein - at least 20g, your glutamine, a few carbs (nothing over the top) and your anti oxidants (vit c & e, and green tea and ALA if you take those). Anti oxidants also help deal with cortisol and the free radicals created during a workout. Keep fat to a minimum in the post workout meal as it helps slow absorption and that is the last thing you want.

You might check out the General Exercise forum as well - you'll find quite a bit of LC exercise hints and tips.

HTH
-Nat