Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 23:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/185/165
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default Fried Chicken?

I was wondering.... I start my induction tommorow morning at breakfast but, tonight i had fried chicken for dinner and i noticed that my wife rolls the chicken in flour before she cooks them. Is that a lot of extra carbs? Is it ok to just not eat the skin? Can you fry the chicken without flour? She is not able to go on the diet with me becuse she is pregnant.

Also, how do you adjust your current weight to show progress on the little thingy below your name? (I'm pretty confident, huh?)

MoJo
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 23:38

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

MoJo, you adjust your weight by clicking your Profile link (top riight of the board, to the left of Register) and then clicking on Edit Profile.

Yes, flour does have carbs in it. So do bread crumbs -- another popular frying enhancement Some low carbers swear by crushed pork rinds (which have few or no carbs). I can't bring myself to do that, and just fry the chicken in oil or butter.

(BTW, these are the kind of hidden carbs that could be stalling you. It's hard to know what you're eating exactly if you don't cook yourself.)

Flour is also often in gravies. Tricky little devil, flour. Hard to get away from, but it's possible.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 00:19

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

MoJo, I had a second thought, a general one, that might be helpful. One thing that non-low carbers (even the nicest ones, like spouses ) sometimes do not understand is that "just a little bit won't hurt you" is fine for many diet plans, but not low carb. Atkins says this in so many words, but it applies to low carb generally, I think. Because low carb needs the body's chemistry to cooperate in order to work properly, you have to maintain the correct formula. Just something to think about, if "how about frying the chicken without the flour?" is met with "I don't see how that little bit can hurt you."
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 10:14

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

if you have a health food store nearby that has bins, you can also look for Textured Vegetable Protein or Soy Protein Isolate (also called soy powder). If it's in granules, you'd have to whir it in your food processor to turn it into something that will stick to chicken or fish. The Soy Powder is available from some of the on-line LC vendors, too, I believe.

A combination of soy flour (a different thing altogether from the above!) and nut flours (nuts whirred in your food processor) is much better IMO, but does have a few more carbs.

now....exact carb counts on all these? oops, don't have them at hand...but the protein/powder should be very very low.