Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 23:36

Plan: none
Stats: 235/235/195
BF:
Progress:
Default I'm so tired of being overweight ! HELP !!

I'm new to this web site and would very much like to know if the atkins plan has really worked for other members. I really am tired of carting around these pounds. I used to be 195 for years , but after 40 my body just went crazy with the pounds. I had a heart attack in Feb 2000 so I'm very nervous about the weight and eating fatty foods... Anyone ?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-03, 05:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/245/150 Female 5'8"
BF:A Little LESS!
Progress: 14%

Hi jeffk and welcome!
You will find all sorts of helpful info here as you explore this site.
I am only in my second week of Induction, but I have lost 9 pounds and I feel great!
I am 51, and even though I haven't had a heart attack, I know if I don't do something about this weight, I eventually will.
Lots of people here seem to have had HUGE success with Adkins. Check out a few journals, and I'm sure you'll see some of them. I hope MINE will eventually be one of those success stories too!
Good luck to you!
Lesle
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-03, 08:09
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I'm 45-years-old and I have lost almost 90 pounds in the past year. My total cholesterol has gone from 212 to 199, my hdl and ldl ratios have improved, and my triglycerides are an outstanding 52! My blood pressure has also gone down into the normal range without medication. If you are concerned about your heart, I advice staying away from all the lowcarb junk food -- bars and shakes and artificial sugars. I eat lots of vegetables (cooked and salads), fish, meat, chicken, eggs, and olive oil. I eat small quantities of butter, nuts, berries, and melons. Those foods are the mainstay of my diet. I also exercise a lot -- walking and swimming. My doctor, who was very concerned about me a year ago, says that all my current statistics put me in the "below average" risk category for heart disease.

Last edited by liz175 : Sat, Jul-05-03 at 09:28.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-03, 09:25
Registered Member

Stats: 178/147/130 Female 157.5cm (5'2")
BF:
Progress: 65%

Welcome to the forum - the more you read the more you will feel you have made the right choice, the successes out there are so inspiring - however particularly when you have existing health problems it is sooo important to be well-informed!

Buy the book and read it from cover to cover, get your tests done before you start, browse some journals and the sucess stories forum - I believe there is one in particular that deals specifically with a huge success in blood work, heart concerns. Use the search to find threads that deal with blood work success

I wish you well in your journey, and hope you find this forum the fountain of information, advice and support that you need.

edit: I notice that at this stage you haven't chosen a plan - check out the quick link to the right "which low-carb plan is right for me?" to help you in your decision

Last edited by Elixia : Sat, Jul-05-03 at 09:27.