Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 22:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 140/133/120
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default Wbahn - abt fat fast

hello,

i'm wondering if the fat fast can be used to break a stall ??
is it healthy to do a fat fast once a while ?
what good does it do ??

i've also heard that one can do a "carbo binge" to jump start the wt loss. thats if you have LC for quite a while and have stopped losing wt as readily.
whats your view ??

its all abt biochem, and how your body reacts to extreme high fat or extreme high carb (after a long period of low carb).

i've tried the fat fast, but i can't get thru a day. extreme high fat (eg, roast pork) dulls me immediately. i feel weak and drugged. not v sure if i shd force myself to do 3 days of those ..

lastly,
how do i update my new wt ???
i've lost, but dont know how to update it on this forum.

you're a great guy, and filled with wisdom. thanks for your advices to us newbies !!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 23:56

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Thanks for the compliments, but keep in mind that I am learning right along with all of you. I've only been at this for eight weeks now and the quality of my knowledge and advice pales in comparison to, oh, at least a dozen regular posters I can think of. Fortunately, they do a real good job of catching me before I get both feet implanted thoroughly down my thoat. This condition, of course, is known as HIMS - Hoof In Mouth Syndrome. (How many carbs does the human foot have?)

Before you do Fat Fast, go back and CAREFULLY read Chapters 15 and 20 of Atkins (DANDR). You need to first determine if it is truly a stall and not just a temporary slowing of weight loss that is common and normal. Then you want to go through the sequence of steps that he presents pretty much in order. When all of that is tried, then consider the Fat Fast.

Do this, commit yourself to reading both of those chapters at least three times end to end - and be sure to hit other material that doesn't sound fresh and familiar to you - before you do something like a Fat Fast.

As for changing your numbers - click on the "profile" icon under the orange bar at the top. Then click on "edit profile". Change any information you want and click on "submit".

Good Luck.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-19-02, 23:06
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 140/133/120
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default Thanks Wbahn !!

Will go read those pgs again.

Btw : there are so many versions of LC around. it tends to get real confusing ..
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-20-02, 00:03

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

I agree - and it's an evolving field so what is thought to be true today may not hold a year from now.

The best we can do is read and try to understand the bulk of what is available. Have more confidence in the themes that are repeated over and over among the plans and try to understand how the differences fit into the basic philosophy of each plan. Then, as we learn more about our own body's behavior, we can make informed decisions about what to change for ourselves. And we need to accept that our own learning can and will never be over. Just as the pros have to revise their thinking we must be willing to adapt as more is learned - both by the pros and by ourselves.