Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 12:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 266/251.2/199 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%
Question Any suggestions for workout shoes?

I don't usually post new threads, but maybe some TDC'er can help me with this.

With all this exercising I've been doing, my 8 year old athletic shoes are on their last laces.

Has anybody had good luck with a particular brand? Money is real tight around here, so I want to try & make sure whatever I buy is going to last a little while.

On a related note, has anyone had their shoe size shrink with weight loss? My shoe size went up when I gained this last 50 lbs. & I thought I might be able to look forward to also fitting into smaller shoes.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 12:40

Stats: 155/112/107 Female 5'3"
BF:?
Progress: 90%
Default shoes

I suggest whatever is comfortable for you is the best. Of course, it'll depend on what type of workout you're doing.

Running shoes for running, walking shoes for walking, etc. If you go to a good sporting goods store, Dicks, Foot Locker, any of those places usually have the shoes separated into categories. Plus, the folks that work in that department are usually somewhat knowledgable in that area and could probably tell you the exact differences between walking, running, cross training, or aerobic shoes. Geez, there are so many, possibly too many!

I do aerobics and have noticed many people in my classes, including the instructor wearing Ryka shoes. I wear Avia only because they're in excellent shape (I just purchased them before I started exercising about six months ago) and they're comfy!

Kim
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 12:47
I Love Butter !!

Plan: Meat and Eggs
Stats: 368/285/180 Female 5'11"
BF:Its scary!!
Progress: 44%

I am in the same boat as you. Not much money but need a good pair of shoes. I usually buy a good brand but this last time could not afford them so I went and got a pair of sneakers at walmart. I had bad luck before with them this time they are good. I recently started exercising with different equipment and my arches started to ache during the excerise. I thought i was going to have to buy new shoes but instead I got myself a pair of arch supports that cost me 4.00 and I am all set. Good luck.

Melanie
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 12:50

Plan: WebMD w/LC choices
Stats: 322/297/199 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Howdy!

I tend to favor Nike running shoes (the usually have a wider base), but I know that my mom looooves Reebok DMX and women that I see at Curves like New Balance (I guess they have a nice selection of wide width shoes).

I would basically suggest that you find shoes that are most comfortable to you and your budget.

I know that I have my 'everyday' tennies that were purchased a while ago and I have my 'exercise only' tennies that get worn for walks and trips to Curves only. They last a whole heckuva lot longer this way.

Oh yeah, I usually buy my shoes at Kohl's on sale or at Shoe Carnival (discount shoe store that carries name brands). If you have either of these stores near you, I'd recommend checking them out.

One last thing... I *have* lost weight in my feet. How bizarre is that? I think I've been able to drop at least 1 size since I started Atkins. Now if it would only leave my mid-section...

HTH-
Nikki
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 13:03
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I have lost weight in my feet. I have shoes that had gotten too tight to wear that I can once again wear, and shoes that used to fit comfortably that I am now walking out of. I have gone from an extra-wide width (DD) to a wide width (C or D).

With regard to athletic shoes -- I have problems with my Achilles tendon off and on, so I need to buy shoes with good padding. This pretty much rules out very cheap shoes. Right now, I have a pair of New Balance walking shoes that I use for long walks. I wear cheaper shoes (or go barefoot -- my favorite condition) around the house so that the New Balance don't wear out too fast. Payless is a good source for cheap sneakers, but I don't think Payless sneakers have enough padding and support to do anything very athletic, especially if you have a lot of weight to lose. Payless does have the advantage of selling a lot of shoes in a wide width.

I agree that Kohl's is a good source for high quality name brand shoes at a discount. However, what they have is very variable. I always check when I am in there.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 13:16

Plan: ?
Stats: 1/1/1 Male 1
BF:
Progress: 37%
Default trainers

Hi,
I began cross training, mainly the treadmill and bike, I ordered a pair of New Balance, through my gym with discount and I got correctly measured for size and width, they were noticably cheaper than anything else I had seen.

Now I am big, but found them broad and supported my foot , I also noticed that previous calf discomfort dissappeared, so for that reason I find them really comfortable and supporting.

And yes I have shoes that no longer fit I can change approx 1.5 shoe sizes dependant on my weight.

Graeme.