Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 22:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/150/110 Female 4ft. 11 in.
BF:
Progress:
Question Not losing Weight???

Hi I'm new to this website and to the Atkins diet. I was just wondering if anyone has had any problems losing weight? I did great the first 2 weeks on it. I lost 15 lbs. But I went off for about 4-5 days. I started right back on it again though for almost 2 weeks now and haven't lost a pound. I'm doing everything I did before so I don't understand whats happening. Can anyone give me any advice on something that may get it back into motion?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 22:32
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Angie, welcome!

What you are experiencing is very common, so relax. After a large initial loss, the body often seems to need to "draw breath" for a while. Many folk find they have this little plateau at first. It is just the cells trying to hold onto some water for a while, as they come to terms with losing some fat. Have a look at this site for more information about plateaus: http://www.jalilahsahar.com/whooshes.html

All you have to do is continue to follow your plan, and before long, you will see another downward trend.

Have you measured yourself? That could be another reason. People often gain a little muscle at the start of low carbing, simply beacuse they were eating insufficient protein before.

All the best!

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 12:24
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

It takes a few days to start losing again after a "fall off the wagon"..stick with it, you'll be fine.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 20:50

Stats: 286/219/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default not losing weight

I had trouble loosing during the week before my monthly period but then started losing again afterward. I figured it was just hormones and stuff like that.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 14:53
Registered Member

Stats: 215/195/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 27%

I have the same problem, just before my period I don't lose, it's very frustrating
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 15:14
Too kinky for you

Stats: 265/246/187 Male 176 cm
BF:xxx/27.2/20
Progress: 24%

It's water retention - your body holds on to as much as it can in the run up to TOM - then after you should be in for a good couple of pounds worth of woosh!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 10:51

Plan: took out all bread and potoes
Stats: 280/275/200 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress:

iam haveing the same problems.i lost 10 pound the first 2 weeks ,then stop loseing ,but iam not eating any more ,iam eating less ,but it is time for my monthly period ,so that might be it i hope so ,iam stuck at 275
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 12:30
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

I am just glad that Sinbad didn't state that he was also haveing problems loosing weight before his cycle also!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 12:55

Plan: 6 week cure
Stats: 217/183/120 Female 4'11"
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 35%

MaryToU: Yeah, that would have been hilarious! (snicker, snicker)

rc_mom - this isn't a diet where "less is more." We don't necessarily have to count calories here because it's not the calories we're worried about (as long as you're not stuffing yourself to oblivion). What we track here are carbs. If you get your calories down too low, you won't lose weight. Your body will go into starvation mode and you really don't want that. Why not try fitday.com to keep track of everything. I just started using it and find it's a great tool on tracking my progress (makes me exercise more, too - I just LOVE those little pie charts).

Just don't give up hope - this WOL DOES work.