Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Oct-18-03, 10:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/165/110 Female 5'5"
BF:60/44/20
Progress: 63%
Default Hello and a question

Hello Everyone,
I wish I had found the TDC sooner, now i feel like i dont belong here! LOL I have lost around 85lbs and have 6ollbs still to go. Here is my question, does anyone else feel this way?????
Ive lost 65 of my 85lbs in the past 6 months and everything is just hangin everywhere. Anyone know why my skin doesnt shrink as fast as I do? Its totally gross and in a way, i feel worse about the way I look now than I did at 260lbs. I said in a way, I DONT want to weigh that again, but at least I fit in my skin. I was planning to have a tummy tuck and liposuction in February but then I read if you planning to have baby, to wait until after, so..i have to wait.
Exercising is not the answer, I hasnt helped thus far...
The skin is so loose that when I play with my boyfriends 6 yr old, I get covered with bruises.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-18-03, 13:20

Stats: 286/219/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

I think it takes some time for your skin to catch up with your weight loss. Even when someone has a baby and their skin is loose they say it takes a year for their body to get fully back into shape.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Oct-18-03, 14:40
Contributing Member

Stats: 345/304/240 Male 5'9
BF:20.72 %
Progress: 39%

Welcome jigglypuff. You're not some kind of pokemon fan, are you? lol I don't have an answer for you on the loose skin, but would like to welcome and congratulate you on your outstanding weight loss so far.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Oct-18-03, 16:29
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglypuff
Ive lost 65 of my 85lbs in the past 6 months and everything is just hangin everywhere. Anyone know why my skin doesnt shrink as fast as I do? Its totally gross and in a way, i feel worse about the way I look now than I did at 260lbs. I said in a way, I DONT want to weigh that again, but at least I fit in my skin.

Welcome Jigglypuff!

I've heard this statement many times, including at home. My partner has lost lots of weight - 150 lbs over the last 5 years - 60 of it with this WOE since March. She feels less comfortable in her skin, too.

I feel it's important to work on your body image as you lose weight ~ you've changed, now you need to start giving this body lots of positive feedback so you feel better about yourself. I think it's important, especially in keeping that weight off permanently.

Now ... for my real advice : Don't get a tummy tuck until after your pregnancy. In fact, don't get one at all at unless you know this will be your last pregnancy! I had a friend who had Weight Loss Surgery, lost a bunch of weight really fast and got the extra skin taken off her belly. Over the last five years she gained all that weight back and more - and her skin couldn't keep up. She had these huge cracks that got infected, just opened up more and festered. She *died* last month from this.

Most reputable plastic surgeons recommend that you wait to do any skin reduction surgery for 18 months after sustaining permanent weight loss at your goal weight. That gives your skin a little time to naturally 'snap back'.

BTW, for some supersize people, it's a health hazzard to not remove excess skin - but at the weight you've been, I doubt that's an issue. (Typically, those folks with a BMI of 55+)
Hope you're doing well ... And Congratulations on losing as much as you already have!

PS ... That bruises thing is quite common. I can't remember where on the Forum I read this, but people talk about bruising more easily since blood vessles that formally 'fed' the adipose tissue don't need to anymore. Any old bump will cause those vessles to bleed a bit, causing a bruise.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Oct-18-03, 16:40
Registered Member

Stats: 260/165/110 Female 5'5"
BF:60/44/20
Progress: 63%

Thanks everyone for your replies and no Im not a pokemon fan, my boyfriends daughter gave me the name because of all the loose skin, im jiggly!!