Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 06:19

Plan: atkins
Stats: 214/177/140 Female 5'6''
BF:35/28/23
Progress: 50%
Default Someone explain these #~*&! clothing sizes to me!

Okay so after years of being confined to plus size stores, where I was an 18 or 20 in tops (I like them loose) and a 16 in jeans, the 14 jeans are now hanging off me and I need to return to regular departments. So I did. It was a little scary, because I went from being the smallest person in the store to the biggest. (I can hack it though, it won't be for long.)

But here's the thing: One pair of size 16 (regular) pants were too small, another too large, one pair of XL were too small but I got into the L in another style.....And then I was in Walmart the other day (hate that place but there was no alternative for what I needed that day) and I bought a pair of cheap drawstrings that looked right without trying them on. They fit too - even though they were marked 8/10!!!! How can I be too big for size 16 but get into an 8/10? Were they mismarked? Is everything so inconsistent in the regular stores?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 06:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 166/125.5/130 Female 66"
BF:24%
Progress: 113%

Hate to say it, but YES! I used to be able to depend on certain brands. If I took a 14 in Lee's jeans then I could count on taking a 14 in their shorts, etc. Now, I have to try them on because I take a 12 in jeans and a 14 in shorts even though they're both the same brand!! It's confusing and frustrating especially because I hate trying on clothes but it seems like nobody has a set size anymore.

Julie
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 06:25

Stats: 185/158/145 Female 5' 5 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Maddening isn't it? I'm always telling my boyfriend, sweet as he is, to not buy me clothing. Because of just this. (Except for most lingere, that tends to run true to size.)

Some of my dresses are 8, some 10, even have a couple of 6s in there. And they all fit the same.

Wish they could design women's clothing true to size.

Shirley
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 06:25

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

I agree!!! my friend the other day was telling me she had size 18 jeans that fit and also size 20 and a few 16's that all fit her the same... lol how's that for nuts?!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 06:28
Under Construction

Plan: LC/BFL
Stats: 245/148/140 Female 5'4"
BF:less/than/B4
Progress: 92%

Yeah, I have noticed that too. I think sizes vary by manufacturer and style. Not that I am ready to shop the regular stores just yet. I am looking forward to it though.
Lane Bryant clothes run large, I think. If I wear an 18 from one place, I might be able to get into a 16 there. But it doesn't go for everything so who knows.
I guess you just have to guess which size looks right and then try it on before buying it.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 06:36

Plan: Atkins-esque
Stats: 200/158/150 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

This is not a new phenomenon, as I can attest! As a pre-teen I could never find jeans long enough. Some brands were so-so, some not. Every size fit differently.

Levi's jeans have no space for your backside, so if you have one, don't look at that brand! I was in a 16 (St. John's Bay from JCPenney) last winter. Fit pretty well. Back to a 12, I can wear that brand in 12, also Gap. But, nothing else!

Yet, I have Gap shorts that are just now getting loose ... size 14! Go figure. Really.

They don't cut everything the same every time, and even three pair of the exact same size and exact same brand will fit differently. Robots are not perfect, it seems.

I spoke to a clerk in a store the other day who resorted to buying men's jeans because she can depend on the sizing. She can't understand why women's clothing doesn't go by sleeve length/bust size and waist/hip/length ... similar to men's clothing sizing.

In Japan you get everything special ordered to fit -- saves on the waste, I'm sure. How often have you seen end-of-season clearance racks with all Smalls and Mediums leftover? Who wears those? Even those who do take those sizes opt for the larger ones for comfort.

It's annoying.

And, those of us who are tall can usually not find enough length to cover our ankles. Jeans have improved, but they don't make crop pants that don't look stupid on me, no matter what brand I try. I love the look of long skirts and dresses, but the ones that are long on catalog models are mid-calf on me! I have found success here and there in some brands at certain times, but it's all luck. I can't go in year to year or season to season and know I'll find what I'd like.

Sheesh!

---Amy
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 06:58

Stats: 280/235/160 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 38%

lol, I was just complaining about this yesterday. Venenzia sux. I always have to go up at least one but usually TWO sizes to fit into their jeans. Old Navy fits like a glove at my normal size, and Levis? Fuggetaboutit - the backside comment above was right on target. I use to love those cheap ole Just My Size jeans from WallyWorld but now uhh.. they are not Just My Size anymore.. they hang in the butt and my legs swim in them. (Heaven forbid I lose any weight in my belly on this WOE - but I keep losing in my legs!) Hmmm.. personally, I think I prefer ZanaDi and Old Navy - they make me feel smaller
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 07:04

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Sizes have definitely changed over the years in North America. A present day size 14 is about what a 10 or 12 used to be. And there is no consistency among manufacturers. Pattern makers for home sewing are a bit better.

Remember that according to the fashion industry, 14 is a PLUS size. Good grief.

Check out this thread for lots of opinions and information:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...nge#post1332964
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 07:07

Stats: 195/165/130 Female 159 cm
BF:
Progress: 46%

Here in Europe the sizes seem to be even smaller as in the US. When I was in the US this summer I went shopping. It was much easier to find something that fitted.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 08:33
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind-full
And, those of us who are tall can usually not find enough length to cover our ankles. Jeans have improved, but they don't make crop pants that don't look stupid on me, no matter what brand I try. I love the look of long skirts and dresses, but the ones that are long on catalog models are mid-calf on me!

The length problem isn't just something tall people have to deal with -- don't you know that when you gain 10 lbs and go up a size, you also grow half an inch? I'm 5'5", with a short waist and fairly long legs, and when I was in sizes 14-18, I wore mainly ankle-length pants because regular length was just too long. At size 8-12, a regular length was just perfect, and now that I'm a 4/6, I've had to move to a long! I know there is some correlation between size and height, but really, the designers take it way too far...
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 12:26

Plan: Atkins-esque
Stats: 200/158/150 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

Boy, do I know what you mean! Interestingly, it's easier to find a "long" size in a plus size. Clearly, if you are overweight or a large build it only makes sense that you are tall, too.

Shoe sizes, likewise. I wear a perfect 10-1/2 (they don't make that size, now do they ... ever notice? Sizes 5 to 9-1/2, 10, 11 ... what's up with that?) and with that it's assumed I have wide feet. There are more wide shoes available for larger sizes than B (medium) widths, and if you happen to have a narrow foot, forget shoes at all.

Why don't real people take positions in the fashion industry?

---Amy
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 12:36

Plan: Atkins/low carb mix
Stats: 206/184/130 Female 5'5"
BF:Size 12
Progress: 29%

Every brand fits differently, even in the same stores. One store the 16s are so snug for me, the other I can squeeze into a 12 tightly.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 12:44

Plan: was Atkins now SB
Stats: 200/197.5/175 Female 5' 10"
BF:42/42/23
Progress: 10%

I'm 5'10 with a 36" inseam.... Try finding pants for me!!! LOL
I got lucky last week and found the PERFECT pair of black dress pants for $26!!! At Reitmans, I tried on about 8 pairs and the clerck asked How I was doing.. I told her that they were all too short, Well wouldn't you know it they had 1 style that was super long! She got all excited and brought me the best pair of black pants size 13 to boot! and I HAVE TO wear them with heels or they drag on the floor!! I love this woman maybe I should buy her a a gift!!
I have a closet full of size 14 pants that don't fit still too tight and that are just about long enough to cover my ankle bone!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 13:21
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 217/170/155 Female 5/5
BF:
Progress: 76%

I am one of the backside challenged, and I love my Levis!!! You are so right about them fitting if you have no butt! I use to say my underwear fit better when I put em on backwards!!! I go for jeans that have a little lycra. I'm talkin about 10%, not hootchee pants! I like them to give a little.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 13:31

Stats: 210/181/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 58%
Angry

One of the reasons I do not allow my husband to buy me clothes. I am a Gap 10, Old Navy 10 or 12 (depending on the cut), and I bought an 11 jean skirt from QuickSilver. The tops are always a 12.