Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-03, 12:48

Plan: diabetic
Stats: 238/172/128
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default Help ...now I Am Confused

Ok , here we go again ,and I know I cant possibly be the only one on here thats a newcomer and already ready to pull my hair out !I am reading the books ...I am reading the forums , Im learning a lot .Still ..I am so darn confused its making my head swim..One says eat this ..one says dont ..this says ...you need to do this ..another says ..no dont .....PLEASE PLEASE someone tell me some one or some place I can find some answers .I have admitted I am bi polar ..and mixing my knowledge with carbs Im finding cutting out carbs is detrimental to my aiding in easing symptoms of being bipolar ,even though there is no cure!I will admit I am attention deficit so if it isnt simplified to a certain degree I just dont' get it' unless it is shown to me ..once I get it I ve got it for good .I'm grateful to have found this place where everyone is so helpful .I know I need some support or I am not so sure I could do this on my own.Any help would be appreciated .ANY ....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-03, 13:45
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Whoa, Sue! Take a deep breath.

What exactly is confusing you? If you can be more specific, you'll get specific answers.

I think you may be feeling confused because you don't have a specific plan. It really helps in the beginning to follow a plan until you are comfortable with it. Then, you can go free form. Low-carbing is a learning process. No one can tell you to eat this, then eat that, then a month later eat this. It's something that you discover on your own.

The simplest and most effective way to low-carb is to keep things simple. Real protein, real vegetables and real fats. No fake foods, easy on the dairy and artificial sweeteners. In that realm, there is tons of stuff you can eat and you will never go wrong.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-03, 16:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Karen, as always, has good advice. Please choose a plan and read the book thoroughly.

If you are diabetic, you should consider the plan by Dr. Richard K. Bernstein: The Diabetic Solution. He is himself a diabetic who has used lowcarbing for years to control his condition.

There is also Dr. Diana Schwarzbein's The Schwarzbein Principle. I believe she is an endocrinologist who treats diabetics.

Please look to the professionals to lay out a plan and show you how to eat to control your sugar levels.

#4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-19-03, 20:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/165/135
BF:
Progress: 43%

I am also a diebetic and had found that the Atkins diet has reaklly kept my levels in range.

Kathy
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 13:58

Plan: diabetic
Stats: 238/172/128
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default calming down and studying

Thank you Karen and everyone ,I really appreciate your help.I'm taking a deep breath ! hahaha Guess I'm making this more difficult than it has to be .Suppose I'm afraid of failing .Now why worry about it before I get started ?Silly me !When I came from the hospital I was doing great .I was doing the veggies and fruits like I was told and meats ..well I did mainly chicken,fish and occasionally beef ...processed meats give me migraines ! I think I have reactions to nitrates and stuff .I found the book mentioned in the posts so I'm reading now .I drink about a gallon and a half of water every day so thats not a problem.I walk on my treadmill.Found that listening to books on tapes (self help ) while I'm walking seem to make it easier for me .Honestly if I dont concentrate so hard I do better .I'm reading like a mad woman now .finding so many things and very interesting ...guess when I find method I'll be ok Again thanks ...you all are the bestest!!!