Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 20:07
Wombat Ashramite

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Suggestions for low-impact cardio?

Hi there,

Could anyone make some suggestions for some low-impact cardio I can do at home or outside without having to use gym equipment? I have "runner's knee" (not obtained by running, I can tell you that ) and I want to start BFL on Monday, but the only cardio I know won't hurt my knee is walking...which I don't know if I can hit 8's, 9's and 10's with. I do live near some quite steep hills with quite a bit of length to them, so maybe I could use the incline to increase the intensity.

I have a bench and my dumbells and I'm ready to go! I appreciate any suggestions you guys can offer.

Thanks in advance,

Digwig
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 23:47

Plan: 40/35/25
Stats: 160/160/155 Female 5'10
BF:25/23/18
Progress: 0%

you will love BFL I am sure!

cant wait to see your results!
sorry I cant really help you with your cardio question.

cheers,
j
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-03, 02:12

Stats: 186/186/120 Female 5'2" Inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I have a suggestion for you. I am not part of this but I have been doing some cardio for about an hour a day (30 minutes in the morning 30 in the evening). What I did was go out a buy a Elliptical trainer. It is a cross between running and crosscountry skiing. Your feet never leave the pedals so there is no jarring to the knee at all it is very smooth and yet you can get up to the speeds that you are talking about. You can find them in any gym as well probably in the same vicinity as the treadmills.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-03, 10:01

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Dig, I was going to suggest something along the same lines as Smurfy. An elliptical trainer is kind on the knees, so is a ski machine (a la Nordictrack). I have a similar problem with my knees (from running ) and I've been using the Nordictrack for years with no aggravation whatsoever.

Congrats on that first challenge!
Nat
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-03, 10:14

Plan: PP/Atkins/PPLP
Stats: 224/192/150
BF:57%/42%/25%
Progress: 43%

Hey Dig, if you don't want to invest in equipment right away then yes, I would do the hills (if your knee can take it), that will definitely increase the intensity. You may want to try walking backwards for some of it as well (try not to break your neck outside, works best on a treadmill). I find it abit more challenging to walk backwards and keep up the pace as best you can.

What about skip rope or jogging on the spot?

Can't wait to follow your progress!

Last edited by Janiceb : Fri, Jan-03-03 at 10:16.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-04-03, 21:32
Wombat Ashramite

Stats: 00/00/00 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Thanks, you guys. I'm going to check into the elliptical. It would have to be something I could fold up because my place is only 860 square feet and I already had to move my daughter's crib to get a space for the bench...

Regardless, I'm going to tackle the hills until I find another solution. I'll be back into the BFL forum a million times a day, I'm sure...at least until I'm more confident.

Thanks again,
Digwig

P.S. It was fun to get a response from Nat"The Back"trushka