Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-02, 17:55
Registered Member

Plan: Just reducing my carbs
Stats: 126/119/100 Female 5feet3inches
BF:
Progress: 27%
Question Constipation normal???

Hi, I was wondering if severe constipation is normal during induction... It's only my day 2... but my stomach is hurting alot from constipation (i think..)
Can anyone suggest anything I can do to make it a little better?
thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-02, 20:02

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 165/165/135
BF:
Progress: 0%
Smile Sounds familiar

This is still happening to me- I guess its some what normal but I've been reading to take some sort of fiber supplement to help you stay normal also drink lots and lots of water.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-02, 08:13
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%
Smile

Yes, a fiber supplement is a good idea for anyone, not just LCers...it helps keep the bowel system in good shape. But read and follow the directions very carefully....it is important to drink plenty of water with it.

You may also want to consider taking a "stool softener" (not a laxative, they're not the same thing) which you can get over-the-counter at any pharmacy.

After induction when you increase your veggies and your body is more used to this new way of eating, you shouldn't have any chornic problems with it.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-02, 08:50
Reinventing Myself

Plan: Doctor's Plan
Stats: */*/* Female 5 ft 3 in
BF:
Progress: 77%
Smile

I have had the opposite problem, so I haven't had to worry about constipation! My boyfriend has though, and he takes Psyllium Husks to help with the problem. They are suppliments that come in capsule form and are with the vitamins in the store. Hope this helps!
~Michelle
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-02, 09:10
Registered Member

Plan: Just reducing my carbs
Stats: 126/119/100 Female 5feet3inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Thanks everybody!

It's my day3... and I haven't gone yet
well, I went out and bought some fiber powder (i forgot what it's called).... and it says it'll be in effect between 12-72 hours...
so I guess I should be patient....
They recommend a certain amount perday... but should i take more since I don't get much fiber from my food????

Thanks for all your help!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-02, 09:42

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 238/158/155
BF:
Progress: 96%

You really don't have to take those supplements if you eat veggies and nuts, especially green leaf vegetables. They are already loaded with fiber, as are nuts. Watch the nuts though, in addition to fiber they have some carbs too, macademia is probably the lowest (or closest to lowest) and they taste good too.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-02, 10:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%

psyllium is great, though you have to take a lot in capsule form to get an effect - if you can bear the powered husks, two teaspoons a day in liquid does the job. Fish oil helps too (PP - to do with good eicosanoids) a tablespoon a day, good for all sorts of other reasons too.
Neither of these is nice to swallow (combine them in one yucky drink?), but hey, its over fast and the effects are worth having.
Good luck, Jay
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-02, 11:41
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

There is a great article on "all things bowel" at the top of the page under Low Carb Tips about Intestinal Health.

You can certainly increase your vegetables. Two leaves of lettuce is in the 1 gram of zone.

THe Atkins plan allows you to have 20 grams per day minus the fiber in vegetables, so the vegetables lower in carbs will have the highest amount of fiber.

Under Low Carb Tools at the top of the page is the Carb Counter. Ask it for vegetables by carbohydrate count and it will give you an indication of what you can eat and the quantites, which is much more than you think to keep at 20 grams.

Nuts are not advised on Induction for Atkins followers, but can be eaten carefully as you go further into your new WOE.

Karen