Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-03-03, 21:25

Plan: 40-30-30
Stats: 205.5/201.5/185 Female 5'5"
BF:48%/47%/20%
Progress: 20%
Default I feel so guilty

So, I just started earlier this week. I feel good.

But, I feel _guilty_ about eating fat. I didn't even realize I thought this way. But my whole life, I've been taught not to eat a lot of fat. Suddenly, I'm adding fat to foods.

I admit, it is quite satieting, and probably keeps me from overeating on calories.

BUT, I feel guilty, like I'm being "bad." And a little freaked out. Despite my high weight, my cholesterol is currently about as perfect as it can be. (High 'good' cholesterol, low 'bad' cholesterol.')

I'm worried that I'll "lose control" and gorge on this plan.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-05-03, 12:25

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 169/154/150
BF:
Progress: 79%
Default Feeling guilty about eating fat

Hi:

I can totally relate to what you are going thru. I read TSP on a plane trip coming home. I came into the house and disposed of all my low-fat (no-taste) food as suggested in the book. Then I restocked with healthy fats etc. like suggested. But the first morning I went to eat eggs and put a tsp. of real butter into the pan, I had sooooo many doubts and this "alarm" system went off in my head. I almost backed out! But luckily I didn't.

I too felt guilty about eating ANY kind of fat; drinking full fat milk and using real whipping cream in my (decaf) coffee in the morning. I was sure I was going to look like a whale within a month. But I didn't. I sooooo enjoyed the taste of the food I was eating and the way I was feeling that I/we stuck with the plan. The most difficult thing for me to give up was sugar. If I am going to cheat - it will be with a sweet treat!

Unlike others I/we (we being hubby & myself) have not gained any weight. In fact I have lost 17 pounds total (since last July) - but have gained 5 back when I went off the program and downed lots of white-flour, sweet treats one entire week.

You have to un-learn the low-fat brainwashing way of thinking and shut off that little voice in your head that causes the guilt - I had to and honestly it has been worth it.

Hope this helps or answers your question. I am happy you wrote about this because I thought I was the only one that felt the same way you are describing.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-05-03, 12:53

Default tried to cheat.

Something that's funny, is that if I try to 'cheat' by eating a sugary food, I don't really feel like it. I took a bite of a sugary cookie yesterday, and the drive to eat the whole bag was gone. If I've been eating according to a healthy menu, I'm not really hungry on the side anymore.

In a lot of ways, the flavor that I thought was good in 'fake' or processed high-carb foods just isn't there anymore. I just feel balanced and full.

Also, I used to really rely on coffee -- don't need it as much anymore either. And I do really like it with the whipping cream.

We'll see how the weight thing goes, but I feel good so far.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-05-03, 14:21

BF:
Default Sweet cheats

Hi again:

The crazy thing is that there were donuts in the office and I hadn't had one in so long plus they had chocolate on top. It wasn't a "hunger" thing for me, it was seeing it then wanting it! And I am not even a "donut" person. I used to eat sweets two or three times a day - it was absolute torture if we didn't have something sweet for dessert every night. After eating this way I find that most of the treats I used to love (red licorice was one of them, for example) are now too sweet and I no longer enjoy the taste of them as I once did. Most of the time I am able to say to myself "is this the way you want to spend your sweet treat carbs, on ??? - or is it worth cheating on the diet for this" and most of the time it isn't, I'd rather have a piece of good chocolate. I will allow myself a good piece of chocolate every so often and if I am wanting a sweet taste then I chew a piece of sugarless gum and I find I am satisfied. I had to learn my food triggers to curb my emotional eating. This is one area I have been researching and working on. My hubby likes oatmeal raisin cookies so we keep those in the house for him but they do nothing for me so I never cheat by eating them.

I too was addicted to the caffeine in coffee but got off it a few years ago. It was tough!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-05-03, 21:17

Default Re:Emotional eating

Hey Suni,

I had a big ol' bout of emotional eating tonight. I had a turtle sundae. Can you imagine the calories/carbs/sugar in the chocolate and caramel syrup?

The thing is, I wasn't even really hungry. I'd been eating my s'bein' meals all day and felt satisfied. It's just that -- a friend was going to have some, and I didn't want to miss out. I probably could have had something more balanced at the same place.

So -- how do you combat emotional eating? do you know of any good articles/web sites, etc. on it?

books
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 09:08

BF:
Default Emotional eating

Hi and Good Morning

I have been working on finding my triggers for emotional eating. For me, I know I eat "sweets" to emotionally nurture myself. I have learned thru reading that eating chocolate triggers an endorphin in the brain that is a "feel good" endorphin. This endorphin is also released by exercising (which isn't nearly as enjoyable as eating chocolate!) So if/when I am feeling like I need nurturing, I cruise for sweets. When blood sugar rises you also feel better (altho it is short term). Also you may be (what I've termed) a "social eater". I know I eat differently when I am with somebody, be it a friend, my husband and/or my family, than I do when I am alone. I believe the "social eating" is comparable to social smoking or social drinking - you know those people who smoke/drink twice as much when they are in others company rather than when they are alone.

I know there are many books and you could probably loan them from the library (so you wouldn't have to buy them), that deal with the issue of emotional eating. I know of one that is called "It's Not About Hunger (or Food)" and it deals with the emotinal side of eating. However I have not read it myself. (Personally I have been dealing with self-esteem issues which has also helped with my understanding of why I seek sweets - (for me) it is a way I try and nurture myself.)

I would suggest visiting the psychology section of your library and read, read, read - learn what "triggers" your emotional eating. One thing that has worked for me for example: we go grocery shopping and husband likes cinnamon rolls - you know the kind with white frosting and raisins. I like them too and before we'd each buy one and have it with tea when we came home from grocery shopping. Now, if we purchase a cinnamon roll, we purchase just one and split it - I make sure he gets the larger portion. This way I get to have a taste of it but I don't overdo it and I am satisfied and don't feel like deprived, like I've had to give up everything I like. At work, there is always food treats here in the office. When I know there are donuts in the kitchen, I simply don't go near that part of the office, because I know if my eyes see the donuts and smell the sweetness I am going to have one, because I know this I choose to stay away. I also do not allow any ice cream, candy or chocolate into the house. I occasionally allow myself a few pieces of good chocolate. I buy a small amount on Saturday and eat it up, enjoy it thoroughly and it is gone - it is not sitting in the kitchen tempting me. If I overindulge (like you wrote about the sundae treat - YUM!) the next few days I eat way under my carb limit to (sort of) counter-act the damage I did.

I seem to be rambling a bit - I hoped I answered your question, hopefully gave you a few tips. Don't beat yourself up over this - at least now you are aware and that is a big first step. Also have you checked in at any of the other boards for discussions on emotional eating? There are wonderful discussions and support on other boards too.

Cheers!